Tuesday, March 13, 2007

One Deep Breath-Stillness/Calm

Like most of you, most of my days are sooo crazy busy, it's really hard to find a moment to even think about stillness and calm, much less experience it. So, I make it a point to get up early every morning just to have some time when the house is totally quiet, and the world is all just for me.

waiting for dawn
coffee percolates
beside me
Armed with a fragrant mug filled to the brim, I grab my book and morning pages journal, and curl up in my favorite chair. The morning sun rises just outside the window, bathing the room in warm rainbows of light.
basking in sun glow
morning sky
blesses me
For that one hour, sipping my coffee, watching the day break, and hearing the morning songs of birds, I can breathe deeply and let the magic of words envelop me.
centering my heart
in quiet time~
such a gift
Without this moment of calm and stillness each morning, I feel wrong-footed and out of sorts all day long.
My son and daughter-in-law have been in visiting family and friends in Thailand and China for the past month. My son wrote today that the Asian people sum up their perception of life in America with these three words..."Fast, full, and busy." What an amazingly succinct description of the way we live, always trying to cram as much into every moment as possible, racing from one activity to the next. I find that I'm actively looking for ways to slow life down, to add more stillness and calm into my day, to find more of the quiet magic that my hour in the morning creates for me.
in stillness
fluttering hearts
breathe deep
for more thoughts on calm and stillness, go here

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Once again I'm given a lovely window into your morning. Wonderful!

I agree with full, fast and busy. That is one of the blessings of ALS. It's not just the great parking spots. LOL

HUGS

3/14/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I like that line "centering my heart." It conveys to me the same feeling an athlete must have just before they compete, a deep cleansing breath and feeling of readiness for what stretches before them.

I have been consciously seeking that centering of the heart each morning, visualizing how I want my day to play out, and feeling the confidence it gives me to go through my day with calm assurance rather than breathlessly chasing down each thing on my to-do list, whether at work or at home.

Thank you for these wonder haiku. For me, at least, you've really hit the nail on the head with this week's prompt.

3/14/2007  
Blogger get zapped said...

These are wonderful. I mellowed out reading them, as if I was basking in the sun with you ;)

Such truth in the way we cram our lives full of stuff and things to do. My yoga teacher says if you want to add something in your life (like calmness) you must give something up....

3/14/2007  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

You have captured the essence of those morning moments - they are essential to my day as well.

3/14/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

The time around dawn certainly represents the calmest moment of the day to me. And the moment most full of quiet expectation for what the day will hold. Of course, it's much better with your percolating coffee.

3/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, we begin our days the same way. Your poems are wonderful and they inspire me to seek even more quiet time.

3/14/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Lovely poems, Becca. And I read Brian's blog, which is fascinating to hear his perceptions. I'm waiting for him to get back to the States to help salvage my templates, which Typepad changes have corrupted. :) Glad he's having a good time (except for being sick) and really hope he's feeling better soon. Nothing like travel to make one appreciate home! :)

3/14/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

The early morning is my favorite time of the day. It holds peace and promise...oh and coffee too!

Beautiful writing Becca.

I am intriqued by other cultures impressions on our society.
Thank you for sharing.

3/14/2007  
Blogger wrchili said...

Wonderful haiku! I always love how you add them as part of a greater story. I especially liked the last one. I know I need to stop and breathe more often and stop my heart from fluttering.

3/15/2007  
Blogger Mimey said...

Sometimes I think I'm wasting time when I read blogs or scribble before work, that my priorities are distorted, I could be doing washing or scrubbing the light fittings if I'm going to get up that early. But it is that me-time of centering and calming that makes the chaos of whatever the day holds bearable.

That's what I thought. Enjoyed the verse and prose.

3/18/2007  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Short and sweet, Becca. Simply Beautiful.

3/18/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely thoughts, thanks for sharing

3/19/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home