Thursday, June 28, 2007

Poetry Thursday

Shifting the Sun
Diana Der-Hovanessian
When your father dies, say the Irish,
you lose your umbrella against bad weather.
May his sun be your light, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the Welsh,
you sink a foot deeper into the earth.
May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the Canadians,
you run out of excuses. May you inherit
his sun, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the French,
you become your own father.
May you stand up in his light, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the Indians,
he comes back as the thunder.
May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the Russians,
he takes your childhood with him.
May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the English,
you join his club you vowed you wouldn't.
May you inherit his sun, say the Armenians.
~
When your father dies, say the Armenians,
your sun shifts forever.
And you walk in his light.
~
I am an Armenian - I offer this poem to my friends Sherry, Elaine, and Julie, who each lost their father this month. May your path be illuminated by the light of his memory.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did like this. It is somewhat sad.

6/28/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

A lovely and bittersweet poem - I love the universality of it; the shared emotion and reactions to death.

6/28/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's beautiful.

6/28/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Becca you did an amazing job here and I know it will bring peace.

BIG HUG

6/28/2007  
Blogger Annie said...

Beautiful and comforting. I wish to copy this, and possibly use it at another time when I need it. I hope you don't mind.

6/28/2007  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

That is such a beautiful poem, and a perfect celebration of fathers. I understand Annie's wish to keep it to use it. I'd like to be able to share it with friends who have lost their fathers, too.

6/28/2007  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Very poignant Becca... and a wonderful gift to your friends who have lost their fathers.

6/28/2007  
Blogger Shaz said...

I have goose bumps it touched me also and I lost my dad over 20 years ago.

6/28/2007  
Blogger Clare said...

Oh! This touched my heart so deeply and is incredibly beautiful. I'm very sorry for your friends' losing their fathers, too.

6/28/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely thoughts. All of it is so true. Change is difficult and words like these can be such a comfort.

6/29/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I will remember this poem. The anniversary of my father's death just passed a few weeks ago.

6/29/2007  
Blogger strauss said...

That entailed such a sad,strong beauty and was such a thoughtful tribute to your friends in pain.
Bless you.

7/04/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home