Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Writer's Island - The Gift

"Everyone is gifted - but some people never open their package." Unknown
Gifts - what else can I write about, except the abundance of them in my life? Anything less seems churlish and ungrateful, as if I'm embarrassed by the surfeit of riches piled in this package I've been opening for the past 51 years. A family that cherishes me, a husband who supports me in every possible way, a son who has grown up well and strong with a family of his own to love ~ a wealth of gifts indeed.
In truth, I wonder sometimes whether I deserve them when the world around me is rife with suffering and want. How-and why-have I been so "gifted"? And I try to remain properly grateful, in the hopes that my acknowledgement of good fortune will keep me safely encsonced in its favor a just a while longer.
Of all my good gifts, perhaps the one that is most key, most valuable and cherished, is the gift of my mind, my memory, my ability to read and write and reflect. It is this particular package that I open so gratefully each time I turn the pages of a book, sit at the piano to play, pick up a pen to write, open my mouth to speak. Because I have seen first hand what it means to lose this gift, in this terrible stealthy disease that's sweeping the nation and robbing thousands of people each day of their memories and thoughts.
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste." This slogan for the National Negro College Fund bears truth for the entire human race. "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most," is another humorous version, seen on greeting cards and refrigerator magnets. It brings a smile, but, in reality it is far from funny.
The gift of thought- it's priceless. I hope I'm putting mine to good use.
For more on gifts, go here

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true Becca. I don't know anyone who has been affected by Alzheimer's - and I can't imagine how sad it must be to watch somebody you love go through that. I have, on the other hand, witnessed people in my family lose their minds and souls to substance abuse. Clearly this is self destruction but still sad to see a waste of their precious "gifts". Great post, friend. There really is so much to be thankful for.

9/18/2007  
Blogger Jo said...

A great post -- it is so important to cherish what you have.

9/18/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Short, sweet and to the point. Let's all hold fast to our marbles.

9/18/2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Very heartfelt post.

9/18/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Me too (so far, so good) ;)

9/18/2007  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Nice post! I went yesterday to a memorial for a friend's hubby who'd been in that twilight zone for several years - It is a gift for sure to be grateful.

9/18/2007  
Blogger Rae Trigg said...

I'm often reminded by some of what I do that I have more than some; it's something that's easy to forget in the whirl of everyday life. Thanks for the reminder.

9/18/2007  
Blogger Pauline said...

yes, we're all blessed in some way with gifts, as long as we remember to open the packages...you use yours so well - this is a thoughtful post. Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting.

9/18/2007  
Blogger lissa said...

Memories and the ability to use our mind is a great gift. You have express your thoughts here very nicely. Thanks for reminding me.

9/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good life and an able mind truly are blessings.

My husband's grandmother is in her last few days right now, but he started his grieving years ago when she was no longer able to recognize him. I imagine that the worst part of losing one's mind to Alzheimer's is in the beginning stages when one is still aware of what is happening to them.

Thanks for your comment at Red Moon!

9/18/2007  
Blogger Lea said...

Our minds are indeed a gift... and you cherish and describe it so well here...

9/19/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home