Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-First Love

First love - let's see, would that be Gordon, that darling little mama's boy in fifth grade who wrote me a wonderful letter asking me to marry him, move to a farm in Canada and raise dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cows, and goats? Sounds appealing, doesn't it?

Or would it be David,(another mama's boy-is there a pattern emerging here?)who took me to my first junior high school dance, and kept me company at the bus stop every afternoon, where we shared a Butterfinger candy bar while we waited.

Maybe it was Ed, my older cousin from Georgia, who spent two weeks at our house one summer. Tall, gawky, and oozing southern charm, he was handsome in a sort of devilish way. All my friends were entranced with his southern accent, and he had great fun teasing us with silly nicknames and jokes. I can remember all of us huddled in my backyard, crying our eyes out when he left to go home.

Well, I was definintely obsessed with these boys, but I know none of that was love. My attachment to them was based on imaginary emotions,feelings I had neither the wisdom or maturity to name at the time.

This is sappy, but it's true. My first love is the one dozing in front of the TV right now, the one that got up at 6:00 a.m. today (on a holiday weekend) to drive me to a music festival 75 miles away. He's the one that brings me coffee in bed every morning, who sends me text messages that say "thinking about you right now" or "love you." He's the one who has always supported my interests and my desires, no questions asked, no complaints made. Oddly enough, he was once, many years ago, a little bit of mama's boy. But for the past 30 years, he's been MY boy-first, last, only love.

12 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Lovely, lovely. Good for you! It's heartening to read how many other "good ones" there are out there.

5/27/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

So great to hear your true love is with you now, fulfilling your hopes, wants and dreams. Lovely!

5/27/2006  
Blogger NuttersNotes said...

Nicely expressed. Make sure that a friend sends him the link to this story. I think that he would love to hear it and it might be even more special if he was directed to it by an outsider. Loved it

5/27/2006  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

NOT sappy...spectacular (most days anyway :-)!
And I know I don't have to remind you how very fortunate BOTH of you are.

5/27/2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

Fantastic! I loved the paragraph that explained your understanding of those imaginary emotions. Very insightful!

Most of all, I loved the description of your real love. Dozing in front of the TV, getting up at 6, sending text messages. That is what's it all about. Beautiful

JTL
xxx

5/27/2006  
Blogger Alex S said...

My heart just melts reading this- reminds me that long lasting loves can truly endure and ever blossom.

5/27/2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

No. No. Not sappy at all. And it sounds like your first love will also be your last love.

5/27/2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Love it!

5/28/2006  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

this was so sweet, Becca, a testimony to your love. He's lucky too...
Sx

5/28/2006  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Isn't it wonderful when you can say that your first love is the one dozing in front of the TV? Mine does that all the time...and I couldn't possibly love him anymore than I do. ;)

5/28/2006  
Blogger papyrus said...

Lucky you! And a nicely written piece too.

5/29/2006  
Blogger Kristine said...

very sweet

5/29/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home