Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-Change

I don't watch much daytime television, but I love to watch the Oprah show when she features makeovers. I get crazy excited to see ordinary, frumpy people with outdated hairstyles and clothing become miraculously transformed into attractive, chic, confident looking men and women. There was once a 60-something grandmotherly type who hadn't cut her long grey hair in about 30 years. When she walked through those curtains wearing a stylish bob, close fitting jeans, a cute beaded jacket and boots, I actually burst into tears.

It's my secret wish - well, its not secret now - to be on one those makeover shows. I want to be changed, at least on the outside. It's not that I'm really unhappy with the way I look. I try to keep up with the style trends, and I can wear most of the new fashions without looking ridiculous. My weight is about normal for my height, and people always tell me I look younger than my age. But there's something extremely appealing about being made to look so different ( i.e. beautiful, stunning, glamourous) that my own mother barely recognizes me!

Now that I think about it, perhaps this desire for a metamorphosis is more than just superficial. Could it be that I'm longing for changes that go deeper than hair, eyeshadow and lip gloss? Am I really looking for something to jump start my life, not just my appearance? Hmm, could be. I know that beauty is really only skin deep, and lasting radiance can't be applied from a jar. It comes from satisfaction with your relationships, excitement about your work, and positive expectations about your future. And, in all honesty, I haven't had any of those things in abundance recently.

So maybe I should really be thinking about ways to makeover my life instead of just my looks?
Perhaps I should be making the kinds of changes that don't wash off in the shower or get ruined by a windy day. Changes that would result in an inner glow of confidence and satisfaction that create lasting beauty no matter what your hairstyle or wardrobe is like.

Oprah, are you listening?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Vincenzo Castaldo said...

Merry Christmas!!!Vincenzo (Italy)

12/23/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I like those makeover shows too, although sadly Oprah isn't on here. But I think you're right about change having to come from within - the surface changes usually aren't that difficult. Lovely, thoughtful post, Becca.

12/24/2006  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I agree with you happiness comes from within, but a little outer change can give a needed boast to the moral! Here is to changes wherever they need to take place to bring peace and happiness within and around us!
Wonderful post Becca!

12/24/2006  
Blogger Julie said...

I love watching those shows, too. But when I think about them in terms of myself, I know that in theory it would be exciting for about half a day and then I'd be the one who would have to spend the extra time each day trying to make my hair behave as they have done and fork over the money for those oh-so-chic clothes. I'm sure it's all doable, just not likely...or I'd be doing it already.

There is something to be said for the boost to the moral that it would give, as Corey said. And, even though we know that the real changes must be made at a deeper lever, sometimes it is the outer things that lead us there.

A new year stretches before all of us. Here's wishing that we'll all find that catalyst to make the changes we want to see (and maybe Oprah could lend a hand!).

12/24/2006  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I have about three entirely different looks in my normal everyday life and have had people who know me from work very surprised when they see me the way I look outside work! I like playing with image and people's expectations of that.

Entirely agree that happiness comes from within....

12/24/2006  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Hmmm, i can think of things i'd change, on the inside and the outside.... merry christmas sweet Becca, i hoope you have a good one xox

12/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all change comes a metamorphasis in one way or another. I think you already shine from the inside. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

12/24/2006  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I think you've voiced feelings that many of us have. I saw a make-over show once (one that included many surgeries) and the woman looked wonderful afterward. But her husband wasn't happy. He said he used to be able to see her mother in her face, but now he couldn't. Maybe her insides changed too, and not for the better? Interesting comment that he made though.

12/24/2006  
Blogger NuttersNotes said...

Not to get all religious but there is a section of the Bible where God says, "Seek me with all your heart and I will give you whatever your heart desires." The underlying trick is that in the seeking Him truly with all your heart, the desire of your heart will be him. Moral of the story: you'll ask for better things that naturally change the other things you seek now. Not trying to do a conversion....it's another way of saying change comes from within

12/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like a new look, too. But I wonder how much it would help if I didn't change inside. You seem to be aware of that dichotomy.

12/25/2006  
Blogger megan said...

I don't have a TV, but I heard an echo in my head when I read the part about re-inventing and/or re-energizing ourselves. It's been on my mind for a while now. Seems like it's time...again. Thanks for the nudge.

12/25/2006  
Blogger therapydoc said...

You're so right, Becca. Love how you write and am linking over here, Linda

12/26/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home