Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Write On Wednesday - It's All in the Timing

We are traditionally rather proud of ourselves for having slipped creative work in there between the domestic chores and obligations. I'm not sure we deserve such big A-pluses for that.
Toni Morrison
As I look back through my morning pages over the past several months and re-read my blog posts, there is one theme that recurs over and over again - my lack of time. I'm well aware that I try to pack too many activities and responsibilities in my day, but what can I do? All these things - work, household chores, helping out my mom and caring for my mother in law, tending the dogs, rehearsals, practicing, and of course, reading and writing- are things that I either need to do or love to do.
When I started writing on a regular basis last March, my daily schedule was already quite full. I had no idea that my writing would become a habit forming hobby! Now, I'm having a hard time getting everything done and still having time left to write. So I usually end up doing just what Toni Morrison describes - slipping creative work in between chores and obligations. And yes, actually I am pretty proud that I managed to complete NaNoWriMo and write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, while still going to work, preparing for a couple of concerts, and juggling my family responsibilities. And I'm amazed at the women out there who finished their novels while adding the care of small children in the mix. I think we do deserve A pluses for that!
But it isn't only women who face this dilemma. In his book, On Writing, Stephen King talks about the early days of his career when he honed his writing skills while teaching high school and working in an industrial laundry. He scribbled short stories for "men's magazine's" while waiting for huge loads of hospital linens to dry, and then went home to his wife and two kids in their "double wide trailer" to write some more.
In her book, Pen on Fire-A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within, and also on her blog, Barbara DeMarco addresses this dilemma - how do we fit writing into lives that are already too full? DeMarco advises us to "set the timer" for 15 minutes everyday. She provides lots of writing prompts and ideas for those who might be fearful of the blank page. In just 15 minutes a day, she says, you can flex your writing muscles and start unearthing the "writer within."
But how about those of us who want more than 15 minutes? Where does it come from?
While doing NaNoWriMo, I was "stealing" time all over the place - I neglected the laundry so long, I think we were down to our last clean pairs of socks before I finally typed "the end"!
I stayed up late, got up early, and said little more than "good morning" and "good night" to my husband for the duration of November. Obviously, I couldn't keep up that kind of pace on a regular basis. But it did make me realize how much time I could devote to writing - if I had it, that is!
There is one practice I retained from that experience that's helping me nourish my writing habit. I've continued getting up about an hour earlier than I used to. That early morning time, when the rest of the household is blissfully sleeping, gives me a nice period of quiet time to read, write, and reflect. It satisfies my writing urge, and gets my day started on the "write" foot!
Where do you find time to write? And what's your favorite "writing time" of day?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

My favorite writing time would be evenings and into the nighttime hours because, at heart, I am a night owl. My disposition on the small amount of sleep that affords does not meet with the approval of my family and coworkers (or mine either really), so I try to stick to a regular bedtime.

That means that my usual writing time is during my lunch hour at work. I started a separate blog a couple of weeks ago that is private and strictly for getting something down on a daily basis. There is a web site I visit for daily writing prompts (thanks for including the link to Pen on Fire BTW), and I click through until I find one that speaks to me that day and write. Sometimes it is just a paragraph or two and sometimes longer.

Sounds like you're reading some interesting books. Thank you for sharing about them here.

12/13/2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

I absolutely love the quote. I laughed aloud with a big smile on my face. I have neglected my scrapbooking for so long. I know I would feel exactly that, if I ever managed to do some. It actually inspires me to find those 15 minutes to feel proud!
JTL
xxx

12/13/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

My writing time is evenings and the wee small hours of early morning. As you wrote, it is important to find the time for the creative needs one has. I'm still so proud of your NanoWriMo accomplishment - just amazing! Much peace, JP

12/14/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say that I have a favorite writing time...
I always carry a journal with me so that whenever the need arises then I write something down. This could be in the morning before breakfast, or after. It could be during lunch or after practicing. Sometimes during a hike, I'll just take out my journal and write down a story. I've even been known to use the light from my cell phone to write something down in a movie theatre. I will even wake up in the middle of the night because a writing (or music) comes to me during sleep and I will have to put it down. If I don't then I just toss and turn anyway until I do so :-)
There will be days when all I can do is write...chapters just flow from my mind and I can't write or type fast enough...

12/14/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm amazed that you did all that you did in November. I had to sit there from morning til dark doing nothing else and still could not finish. ALS aside it was still tough to not get distracted. You are an inspirational multi-tasker!

12/16/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home