Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Love My Rut

There's something very comforting about my routine. I suppose I might as well admit it - it's really just a rut. And perhaps I'm a dullard for loving it, but I do. Following a simple, pleasurable pattern, slipping into regular habits like a well worn pair of slippers, eases my mind and relieves the stress that has become such a part of everyday life.

I love my morning routine most of all. Waking early, the coffee freshly ground and dripped just minutes before our classical radio station clicks on, I pour coffee for both of us and bring it back to bed, where we bolster ourselves with pillows and pick up the books we've nodded off over the night before. This reading together every morning is a new habit, and one we've both come to love~snuggling in bed (with Magic and Molly still lost in doggy dreamland), companionably sharing our books together, is a gentle way to ease into the day, and well worth rising early to enjoy.

When Jim reluctantly tears himself away to shower and dress for work, I move to the living room and my big green chair, where I take up my notebook and write those all important morning pages. I feel the sunrise over my shoulder, casting its warm glow on the paper in front of me as I let my thoughts spill across the page. When the pages are done, it's time for breakfast, which we usually eat together while watching one of the morning shows. If it's not a work day for me, I will often do some yoga, then end the morning with the all-important dog walk to the park.

It's a simple, relaxed way to start the day, this quiet hour every morning. It allows space and time to prepare for entry into the busy world, time to connect with one another before we separate for the day.

Probably everyone has their own daily routines that become almost sacred times and spaces in their lives. I've been re-reading some of my favorite Madeleine L'Engle books, and came across this passage from Two Part Invention, which prompted me to so lovingly consider my own daily rut. She writes of her afternoons with her husband Hugh Franklin...

"When we are together we enjoy each other's company fully. Our routine is simple and pleasurable. In the late afternoon I read the mail, then play the piano for an hour. At seven Hugh comes in to me, clinking a glass, while our dog barks with joy, and we repair to the kitchen to cook dinner and talk over the days events, in our lives, in the world. At dinner we light the candles and sit in the dining room, often quietly, kything, rather than talking. Then we take the dog for a walk in Riverside Park, come home, and prepare for bed.

"Several times Hugh has said, 'I love our rut.'"

"So do I."



How about you? Do you have a simple routine that means the world to you? A rut you love?

4 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Hello Becca,

Such lovely images you paint with your words, very peaceful and relaxing to say the least!

I have a routine of writing late at night, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. I so enjoy the silence night brings.

A new routine I've recently begun is rising early and driving to the walking track to get in my 30 minutes of walking a day.

I love ruts too. They are cozy and comforting, aren't they?

You have a nice blog here. I'll definitely stop by again sometime.

Smiles,
Michele

9/19/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Becca,
I enjoyed all of your wonderful posts that I missed. I'm cheering for your novel from your angel and I love my rut. ;) XXOO

9/20/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Although it's only a difference of wording, I prefer to think of our routine as being "in the groove." Your description evokes just the right feeling of relaxation, contentment, and purpose.

I think our bodies and minds appreciate a loose framework in which to function and reward us with more restful sleep and better health.

Bring on the rut!

9/20/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I don't like ruts - they don't work for me; I need lots of change to be curious and creative - but yours sounds very cozy and lovely. And I was so sad to hear Madeleine L'Engle died recently. Her book "Herself" is one of my favourite writing books that sits on my desk.

9/20/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home