Wednesday, December 26, 2007

And So This Is Christmas

Or the day after, to be exact. It's a bit peculiar for this Michigander to be sitting outdoors on a December afternoon, listening to palm fronds whisking in the breeze, blessedly barefooted and wearing tank top and Capri's.

Peculiar, but not unpleasant. Not at all.

We arrived late afternoon on Christmas Eve, just in time for all the grocery stores to close. No matter - we made do with some of the emergency rations from the freezer (Stouffers lasagna and garlic bread). There was plenty of wine in the rack to wash it down with.

Christmas morning dawned cloudy and cool, but the dogs woke us early anyway, so excited to be here, anxious for a walk and a game of fetch. We spent a quiet afternoon with Brian and Nantana, and then all drove to my dad's house where his wife prepared a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. It's funny, but if someone had told me five years ago that I would one day sit down to dinner with my father and "that woman" and actually enjoy it, I would have said they were completely crazy. But I realize now that all the anger and animosity I harbored toward them at the time of my parents divorce was more detrimental to me than anyone else. It's good to let go of that - not easy, certainly, but necessary in order to be healthy.

Today was back to business as usual, and a trip to Publix was definitely in order.
The thing about having a vacation "home," (as opposed to staying in a hotel) is that someone has to do all those "homey" things. That someone is usually me.
So, a couple of hours and $200 later, the larder is well stocked once again. Some fruits, vegetables, and yogurt for snacking, fresh organic chicken breasts (some for us, some for the puppies), fixings for salads, and a restock on the emergency freezer rations (Bertoli Dinner for Two in a bag).

After another hour with a broom and some spray cleaner, the lanai was ready for use. And that's where I've landed, bare feet propped up, a dog on each side, blue sky overhead, a cold drink, and you :)

Definitely the preferred way to spend an afternoon in December.


How about you? How's your day after Christmas?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger jzr said...

Sounds great!! I'm glad you arrived safely and that you didn't have to cook a big Christmas dinner!!

12/26/2007  
Blogger jzr said...

Sounds great!! I'm glad you arrived safely and that you didn't have to cook a big Christmas dinner!!

12/26/2007  
Blogger Jams said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/26/2007  
Blogger Jams said...

Oops!

Funny. I just wrote a post about the weather here which is quite different than where you are. I'm enjoying it though and I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

12/26/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Your day after Christmas sounds vastly preferable to mine (sick w/ the flu). So glad you're having a wonderful time in the sun! xo

12/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quiet, cozy, sandy, soft. . .a good day of just BEING.

Got your comments...can't use email from here.

Will be home on Sat.

12/26/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Happy day-after-Christmas to you too Becca! We've been enjoying new gifts and took my son out to the movies. Most of all, just enjoying each other. Peace & love to you, xx, JP/deb

12/26/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

My post will show you how we can be in two opposite ends of the states doing entirely different things... but we are both content!

12/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Florida. The weather's been downright perfect of late.

I found myself nodding when reading about your feelings toward your father's wife (?). I had similar stuff go on once upon a time. Don't you feel lighter!?

12/27/2007  
Blogger SaoirseDaily2 said...

What bliss. I am looking at 4 inches of snow on the ground and cold bitey breezes, not the warm breezes through palm fronds you speak of. But Spring will come, won't it? Happy New Year!

12/29/2007  
Blogger Michele said...

I enjoyed leftovers and spending time with family. :-)

Your day sounds nice, too, though!

Smiles,
Michele
Writing the Cyber Highway

12/31/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home