Sunday, December 16, 2007

Winter Wonderland


For once, the weather forecasters were right on the money...as we slept, peacefully unaware, the snow kept coming, silently, stealthily, and so we awoke to bushes laden with heaping helpings of white, to the wind whistling around the south side of the house, and to the faint rumblings of thunder - yes, thunder snow, the meteorologists are calling it. It sounds like a locomotive traveling along a far distant track.
Here's what I love best about snowstorms -they force me to be quiet. After all, no one in their right mind would go out this morning. (Notwithstanding those crazy folks just featured on the news who made their way to Target at 7:00 a.m. just to get a Wii - remember, I did say no one in their right mind.) And so I have to stay home - there's no reason to risk life and limb for groceries at the market, or toiletries at Walgreen's, for a rehearsal at church, or even books at the library.
But it's sad, isn't it, that it takes an act of God to make me be still? It's a measure of how much I need this quiet that last night and this morning are the most content, the most relaxed, dare I say the most happy, days I've experienced in the past three weeks.
Why can't I impose stillness on myself once in a while? Write a prescription for it, deliver an executive order straight from the head honcho in charge of my life (that would be me, believe it or not!)
Mother Nature in her infinite wisdom, has given me this snowy, blustery day. A day to hunker down, put on another pot of coffee, maybe whip up a batch of cinnamon waffles or a rich ham and cheese omelet. There's a tall bookstack on my bedside table, a batch of Christmas cards that still need addresses, and a pretty new notebook I've been thinking about writing in.
The TV news people call it a blizzard.
I call it a gift.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jams said...

Sounds like bliss. Enjoy!

12/16/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear ya! I have been on the couch in my PJs keeping cozy and enjoying the fact that even if I wanted to I couldn't go anywhere!

12/16/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Dr. Tammy will write that perscription and email it off whenever I detect a need. ;)

12/16/2007  
Blogger June said...

Looks beautiful! In addition to "bad" weather forcing you inward, I've found that it also tends to help people remember that we need each other. Enjoy your cozy time.

12/16/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I agree... when the snow came I did exactly what you did. Pure bliss.

12/16/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, look at all that white, fluffy, goodness! Enjoy your day, my dear! I hope you give yourself a gift like this more often. ~Bella xo

12/17/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I hope you had a wonderful day at home. It sounds cozy.

12/17/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I blame that Puritan work ethic ingrained in us Americans! Lovely snow photo and enjoy your time "being still."

12/18/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home