Sunday, November 25, 2007

SIlent Night, Snowy Night

Tonight, there's an added dimension of stillness to my quiet Sunday evening at home. A gentle sprinkle of snow is wafting down, and its already covered the grass with a thin blanket of fluffy, wet flakes.

Normally, I don't care much for snow, but even I am not immune to the subtle pleasure of this first snowfall, particularly since I'm snug and warm here inside my house, the new Josh Groban Christmas tunes playing softly in the background as I write. Thanksgiving is now officially over, so I'm ready (I think) to start celebrating the Christmas season.

As a working musician, the entire month of December is a wild merry go round of rehearsals, concerts, and community performances. So the Thanksgiving weekend is sacred to me. Every year I use these four days as a mini-retreat, to prepare myself for the frantic four weeks ahead.

These past few days have been a good respite for me. I've accomplished what I needed to - kept up my novel writing, did enough practicing to get me through the concerts coming up next weekend, returned some phone calls and e-mails firming up plans for next week, and even managed to catch up on all the laundry and grocery shopping. But I skipped church today in favor of a good walk with the dogs and some extra writing time. And I served leftovers a couple of nights in a row, rather than cook. I sat in my favorite chair Saturday afternoon, and read a good book (The Rest of Her Life). I might have even dozed off for a while.

Tonight, since I have the house to myself, I'll be taking a glass of wine and some cheese and crackers out to the den where I plan to indulge in an absolute orgy of chick flick TV on the big screen -Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money (on DVR), and Brothers and Sisters (live).

Days like these become small harbors of peace and tranquility, where I can rest to prepare for the rapids I know lie ahead.

Just a few more hours before the onslaught begins. I plan to make the most of it.

How about you? Where do you find your small harbors of tranquility in the midst of life?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I have began to say no to things in December. At first it was hard, but between school and church activites that was enough. Besides out rural, unplowed roads are often unpredictable this time of year. You are planning well. You can't control your hectic month, but you are frontloading this week-end. Try to carve out some me time and enjoy December!

11/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My tranquil harbors sound very similar to yours. Now-days I have no trouble finding these times (and that doesn't in any way diminish their value to me by the way), but in the past though I'd actually add "piddle" to my to-do lists just to be sure I made it happen. I'm glad you got and/or made the opportunity to give yourself this quiet time. good luck with your concerts, et al.

11/26/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

These moments of tranquility are so important for the soul. I grab them whenever I can ... sitting in my den with music playing, cuddling with my cats, watching a movie, reading or sometimes just letting silence envelope me as I clear my mind. I hope the holiday season brings you much peace & cheer, xx, JP/deb

11/26/2007  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

This sounds like a perfect day...I take long walks and even longer baths, get caught up on all of my reading, and just sit still as much as I can to catch my breath.
Love,
D.

11/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds so blissful and lovely!
I am not so busy in December, but a small trip to the craft store yesterday reminded me that holiday shopping has begun. The crowds were unbelievable. I will be online shopping like a fiend this week. LOL.

11/27/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh I do love snow - we've seen only a few flakes so far. It's important that we make time for ourselves. For me, it's usually late at night, when I'm the only one awake. Sometimes I watch a film or read, with no concept of time. Or little trips to London, where I have entire days to myself (other than appointments, of course). These "recharging" times make it possible for me to charge ahead during the crazy, hectic times.

12/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home