Saturday, November 24, 2007

Sunday Scribblings-Misspent Youth

Ah, youth. Mine was such a long time ago now, I barely remember it.

I do recall spending it doing whatever I could to win favor with my parents, my teachers, and my friends, which meant I was being the "good girl" who did her schoolwork, practiced lots so she could play well at all her concerts, didn't stay out late, drink, dance, or go to bars.

I never allowed myself the luxury of goofing off, I was never willing to risk the possibility of screwing up, I would never take a chance on looking foolish.

How boring.

If my youth was misspent at all, it was in the opposite of this term's colloquialized meaning. Rather than frittering away my time so that I would never amount to anything, I amounted to way too much, way too soon. When I was 23, I had been married three years, and was caring for a toddler and a home.

Technically, my youth was over.

But...here's the funny part.

Now that I'm in my 50's, I often stay out late with my friends, we goof around and act silly, we sometimes drink too much wine. I go quite a bit farther out on life's limb these days, and I don't really care whether people think I'm a "good girl"- well, not too much anyway.

Perhaps when I'm in my dotage, I'll look back fondly on these days of "misspent middle age."

At least, I hope I do.

for other's tales of misspent youth, go here



and here is the number one Google search result for the words "misspent youth" ~very cute!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I did have a misspent youth in the traditional sense, but sometimes I fear I've gone way too far the other way now. I like the idea of having a misspent middle age to look forward to.

11/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My youth was similarly spent rather than misspent, then I experienced the backlash of trying to shake all that in my 20s and have settled into a happy medium in my "middle" years. If I had to go back I'd make some different choices, but I wouldn't choose to go back; the "middle" years are shaping up to be much more fun.

11/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like my older sister! We were complete opposites in our youth.

11/24/2007  
Blogger paisley said...

maybe your just a late bloomer!!!!

11/24/2007  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

A misspent middle age is not a bad thing - I can vouch for that - gives one lots to write about. :)

11/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoying life from a good foundation works. Now the inner child is having fun and kicking up her heels! Enjoy!

11/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that! And I look forward to a misspent middle too!

11/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many similarities with your story and mine. Things are taking a little turn for me now in my 30's. I like to have more fun these days. I like my girls night out, the company of women who are going through the same things I am, and of course.. the wine!! LOL. It feels nice to be a little more laid back.

11/25/2007  
Blogger January said...

I wonder how many of us feel our youth was well spent. I certainly do. And it sounds like your life today is very youthful and fun. That's what I aspire to.

Great post!

11/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life would be so boring if you didn't have some sort of frittering away somewhere -- you fulfilled your obligation Good-Girl-Wise when you were younger, now it's time for you!!

11/25/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I was a good girl too and am enjoying misspending my early middle age. I think that's the age for enjoying partying, because you're more secure in who you are and know your limits so you can have the good times without the risks that would go with those good times if you'd had them too young. If you see what I mean...

11/25/2007  
Blogger Jo said...

A lovely post.....you enjoy yourself, it doesn't matter when it happens so long as it does!

11/25/2007  
Blogger Patois42 said...

I'm totally looking forward to misspending my middle years. Sadly, I had kids too late in life. It won't be until my later years that I'll have any time to misspend.

11/25/2007  
Blogger Jams said...

Now see, I was all into it, thinking how I too was the good girl. Then you put that picture up at the very end and made me laugh. I sometimes wish I had been just a little bit more of a free spirit, but as Star said, "I wouldn't choose to go back."

11/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of being wilder as I get older. You have given me something to look forward to. Great post! (and the google search made me giggle.)

11/25/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I didn't begin to misspend until my 30's. So sad. I'm beginning to think being a late bloomer isn't such a bad thing. And look what good company I have! :)

12/04/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home