Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-Driving My Life

~I don't want to be a passenger in my own life.~

Diane Ackerman

I love to drive. I always have. I love racy little sports cars, and I've even owned a few in my time. I usually drive too fast, and I'd drive even faster if I wasn't afraid of getting caught.

There, I've admitted one of my few dangerous passions. My love of driving is a very concrete example of the way I feel about Diane Ackerman's quote. Because as much as I love driving, that's how much I despise riding.

Of course, it all comes down to being in control - of whatever horsepower you've got rumbling under the hood, and whatever dreams you have spinning in your heart. I like to be the one in charge of getting myself to whatever destination I have in mind - whether it's to work on Monday, or to my goal of completing that NaNoWriMo novel in 30 days. So, I get really irritated when construction barrels pop up on my favorite freeway, slowing me down, and impeding my progress. I get angry when circumstances (completely out of my control) play havoc with my plans and put the brakes on my dreams. When I suddenly have twice as much work to do, because someone at work quit their job. When the economic markets fall and my carefully crafted plans for vacations or retirement are suddenly rendered impossible. All of a sudden, I'm not only a helpless passenger, but one whose life is stuck in a traffic jam 100 miles long.

And as hard as I work to maintain my position on life's highway, there are times when I'm forced to crawl into the backseat because someone or something has wrested the wheel away from me. And when I'm huddled there, unable to clearly see the road ahead, its really easy to simply give up and go to sleep until the trip is over.

But then I hear that deep throated rumble of the engine, the rush of the wind in my hair, and suddenly I'm strong enough to take control of this journey after all. No looking back at what might have been, or crying over the if-only's. Just grab the wheel, put my foot to the floor, and aim in the direction I want to go.

To paraphrase Forest Gump, life is like a road trip...sometimes I'm the driver, and sometimes I'm just along for the ride. But, wherever I happen to sit in the car, I try to follow this advice from motivational author Byrd Baggett...


~Look at life through the windshield, not the rear-view mirror~

photo courtesy of stockxpert

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Oh, I hadn't seen the Baggett quote before. I like it! Excellent post, Becca!

11/11/2006  
Blogger Julie said...

Full speed ahead! I like your attitude, Becca. I'm glad you found time for a little Sunday Scribbling in your busy schedule :-)

11/11/2006  
Blogger ren powell said...

What fun! and cool quote- good luck with the nanowrimo.

11/12/2006  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Good luck with the nanowrimo!

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was excellent! I love your take charge and look forward approach to life.

11/12/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

You go girl!! You've got the right attitude!!

11/12/2006  
Blogger megan said...

This was fun to read. Great description of crawling into the backseat to take a break, regroup and come back out ready to move on.

My boss sometimes refers to getting difficult or unpleasant projects in our rear view mirror...keep looking forward!

The past is dead except in my head.

11/12/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Very entertaining post, Becca. Like you, I have a fondness for fast cars and have driven a few and been a passenger in a few others, including with a professional rally driver, the late Simo Lapinen of Finland. Such a thrill! And not looking back is important in life (except when you're actually driving a car). :)

11/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful writing, Becca! This is all so well said. This is such a positive and motivational outlook on life.

Have a Great day!

11/12/2006  
Blogger Darlene said...

I can completely understand how you feel about interruptions. That has been the hardest thing about having lupus, it is so unpredictable, I spend most of my time in the backseat, let alone behind the wheel....difficult, yes!

Great post!
xoxo darlene

11/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondeful post! I'm also very fond of small sports cars.

Love the quote too!!

11/14/2006  
Blogger Dan said...

I love the feeling of driving too! And, of course, the antithesis is the dreaded bumper-to-bumper traffic jam, where we feel so out of control. Nice post.

11/14/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I have often been accused of being a "lead foot" ... going a little fast is Soooo much fun!! (of course, being safe, as well!!) Lovely post, Becca. cheers, JP

11/14/2006  
Blogger Inconsequential said...

:)

11/15/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home