Thursday, December 28, 2006

Leavin' On A Jet Plane


By the time you read this, I'll be headed south to visit my son and daughter-in-law. It's been about three months since I've seen them, and though we talk often and stay updated through our respective blogs, it's not the same as being with them.
My son left home fairly young - he was just 18 when he moved to Orlando to go to college back in 1998, and he's not lived at home again since. As most mothers can attest, those first few "empty nest" months are horrible. Lucky me, I was able to make frequent trips to Orlando to visit. Gradually, I got used to having him far away, and spending holidays apart - I can't say I like it, but I've grown accustomed to it. And now, there's not only just my son to miss, but my daughter in law as well, who quickly won all our hearts with her gentle nature and loving ways.
My husband and I have always lived near our parents, and it never occurred to us to move far away from home. We're both only children, and possibly that's why we felt (and still feel) an extra burden of responsibility regarding our parents. So we chose our first home to be near our parents, and we've stayed here, mostly to remain near them. And now that they're older, their need for us is more acute than ever.
We bought our second home, the one in Florida, to be near our children, thinking that perhaps we might retire there someday in the not too distant future. But things change. My son and daughter in law are very young themselves. They're making new decisions about their lives, which is as it should be. Their careers allow them to the flexibility to work anywhere in the world, and they should take full advantage of that opportunity.
Along with many of our friends, we're at an awkward stage in our lives. Not quite ready to retire, but tired of working. No longer responsible for children, yet caring for elderly parents. Not as healthy as we once were, and starting to feel the pull of time to enjoy life while we still can. Longing for change, and not quite knowing how to make it happen. But there's one decision we have made. Our next home will be where we want it to be ~ don't know where that is, just yet, but we'll be looking.
Meanwhile, I'm winging my way to the Sunshine State. I'm ready for some rest, relaxation, and some quality time with my family.
PostScript: As I think about visiting my son, I am reminded again of Darlene and her son Mark. Darlene has been visiting Mark in ICU for the past week, as he struggles valiantly to recover from injuries sustained in a horrible car accident. Every day my thoughts are with her, Mark, and her family.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger jzr said...

Safe travels to you and prayers to your friend, Darlene and her family!

12/28/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca hope you have a wonderful visit with your son and daughter-in-law. Enjoy sunny Florida!

12/28/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Have a great visit with your son. And with the sun too. :)

12/28/2006  
Blogger kj said...

wow, i am new to your blog and can relate to this post. i have a daughter and new son-in-law and both rejoice and regret that we don't live right next door to eachother!

best wishes, hope your holidays were all you hoped for.

:)

12/28/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog as well, and already feel at home.
Hope you have a wonderful trip visiting with your son and daughter in-law.

12/29/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca - I hope you have a great time with your son and daughter in law! Happy new Year to you and yours. ps.. (did you empty the washing machine before you left home this time? LOL)

12/29/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Dear Becca,

Hope you arrived in FL safe and sound. Enjoy your time with your son and daughter-in-law.

As you expressed beautifully, Darlene, Mark and the rest of their family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Much peace & love,
JP

12/29/2006  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

you know, Becca Bee, when i read the words you write it's as though I am listening to you play your music...and it resonates so clearly each and every time...thank you for your wise reminders
enjoy the sunshine/sonshine :-)

12/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home