Saturday, January 6, 2007

Sunday Scribblings-Kiss

When my husband and I got engaged, my mother gave me a coffee mug that said "Kissin' don't last...cookin' do." Since I was only 19 years old, she was obvisouly trying to warn me that the fun bits of a relationship (like kissing!) don't endure with as much stability as the not so fun bits (like cooking!) I was not pleased with the gift at that time, and now, more than 30 years later, I have to say she was wrong. Kissing does last. It's different of course - it's laden with history for one thing. It carries the memories of all the wonderful, heartbreaking, angry, delicious moments that have occurred while you've been setting up housekeeping, raising children and pets, working, cleaning, buying groceries and cooking! It's just as poet Steve Scafidi writes in his poem Prayer for A Marriage -kisses now may not be the "first wild surprising ones," but they are the ones that make the "sadnesses we have known go away for awhile."
Prayer for A Marriage
Steve Scafidi
For Kathleen
When we are old one night and the moon
arcs over the house like an antique
China saucer and the teacup sun
follows somewhere far behind
I hope the stars deepen to a shine
so bright you could read by it
if you liked and the sadnesses
we will have known go away
for awhile - in this hour or two
before sleep - and that we kiss
standing in the kitchen not fighting
gravity so much as embodying
its sweet force, and I hope we kiss
like we do today knowing so much
good is said in this primitive tongue
from the wild first surprising ones
to the lower dizzy ten thousand
infintely slower ones - and I hope
while we stand there in the kitchen
making tea and kissing, the whistle
of the teapot wakes the neighbors.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

" . . . the memories of all the wonderful, heartbreaking, angry, delicious moments that have occurred while you've been setting up housekeeping, raising children and pets, working, cleaning, buying groceries and cooking!"

Beautifully said. I still long for kisses like ones from the old days, but this post makes me appreciate the ones that I have now!

1/07/2007  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

Well put. I want to share your post with my daughters. Loved the poem you added at the end.

1/07/2007  
Blogger Deb R said...

Oh, I love that poem! That's beautiful.

1/07/2007  
Blogger Liza on Maui said...

Inspiring, motivational, full of wisdom - both your writing and the poem.

1/07/2007  
Blogger claireylove said...

'from the wild first surprising ones
to the lower dizzy ten thousand
infintely slower ones'

loves these lines - thanks for sharing them Becca!

1/07/2007  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

Love the poem! In fact I'm sitting here drinking a cup of tea with my husband and read it aloud to him. He wasn't quite sure about the "teacup sun" (and I think I made it even more confusing by trying to explain)...but anyway the timing was perfect and so was the poem. Well, save the fact that he wrote about a kiss as gravity before I did but at least I hadn't read this first..lol.

1/07/2007  
Blogger Jessie said...

The list for the Create a Connection Mug Swap will be posted tomorrow (Monday)--don't forget to check the list! :)

I'm glad you're participating!
Jessie

1/07/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I don't believe in the philosophy of the mug either. Beutiful poem--thank you for sharing it.

1/07/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

"Prayer for a Marriage" rocked! 30years...Woohoo!

1/07/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just lovely - thanks for sharing the poem.

1/08/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I'm going to print this poem and keep it. The best kisses are the ones that you know from that deep place of trust and history.

1/08/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home