Monday, February 12, 2007

One Deep Breath-Shelter


enclosed within me
my womb guarded you
impenetrable fortress
~
your fierce protector
my arms enfolded you
sweet shelter from life's storm
~
flown from the nest
my love surrounds you
safe haven for the spirit

The most elemental of life's shelters is the relationship between a mother and child. I am reminded of this lately, as I recall my son's birth 27 years ago this month. He flew from the parental nest long ago, and later this week will fly even farther afield as he and his wife travel to her home in Thailand where he will spend several weeks with his "other family." He has certainly attained every parents goal for their child - a fulfilling relationship and a satisfying, independent lifestyle. So, there is little I can offer him in the way of "shelter," except the most basic of all life's protections - my unconditional love.

Inspiration from here; photo from here

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Beautiful poems and the thoughts that follow are just as beautiful.

2/13/2007  
Blogger Regina said...

Our very first shelter, indeed... just beautiful, Becca...

2/13/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the first haiku especially as I am now 23weeks pregnant with my second child. I can totally relate to your words. Beautiful

2/13/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

There's nothing like a mother's embrace, whether it's in her arms or her words or carried in her thoughts.

Wishing you peace of mind while they are out of your comfort zone.

2/13/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

These haiku are beautiful, as are the sentiments expressed. Brought a tear to my eye. Hope B. has a great trip to Thailand!

2/13/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Becca, how perfect these were and that last one got me good ;) XXOO

2/13/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful sense of safety resonates from all of them. nice work!

2/13/2007  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

A beautiful mother's poem. Not sure if you were the "Becca" who reviewed
The Liar's Diary on Amazon, but if so, it is much appreciated!

2/13/2007  
Blogger Jone said...

What a beautiful journey and the haiku to record it.

2/13/2007  
Blogger Deb R said...

Lovely poems and I LOVE that photo!

2/13/2007  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I can identify somewhat with this! Lovely.

2/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat photo.
I am also at that stage of motherhood. My daughter has been on her own many years, but the ties hold firm.

2/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These touched me deeply. So real and beautiful. I live on the 'other coast' and miss my mother dearly, who is my shelter even at this distance. Thank you for these wonderful haiku.

2/15/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on some primal level, i'm sure he'll always feel your love as sheltering no matter how far he's traveling. you know, after reading your post, i think i'll go call my mom...

2/16/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home