Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Write On Wednesday-Love Letters

In my Keepsake Box is a ragged piece of notebook paper, folded into quarters, that came in the mail on Valentine's Day 1966. Here's what it said:


Dear Becky,
Someday when we grow up, I want us to get married. We will live in Canada and raise dogs, cats, horses, chickens and cows. We will have five children. I love you and want to make you happy forever.
Love,
Gordon

This little missive captured my 10 year old heart (in spite of the writer's notion that offering five children and a menagerie of animals was romantic!) I immediately hid it away in the bottom of my desk drawer, and obsessively re-read it until I wore the paper thin with folding and unfolding. Even now, 40 years later, those carefully penned words of love have the power to bring a little lump to my throat.

Just a few years after receiving that letter, I would be the recipient of dozens more love letters, the letters that Jim and I wrote to each other on a daily basis during his first semester away at college. The 35 mile distance between us seemed endless, and envelopes stuffed with 8 and 10 page letters passed back and forth between our mailboxes every day. All those letters now reside in two shoe boxes, sitting side by side on a shelf in the bedroom closet, a record of that time in our lives when we poured our hearts out on paper, exploring emotions, and dreaming of our future.

My most precious love letters of all, of course, are the hand scribbled, crayon drawings proffered in my son's grubby little hands. Like the one written on a half sheet of paper torn from a spiral notebook that reads "Mama, I love you sooooo much! I want to kiss and hug you! From your best boy in the whole wide world!" (followed by his full name, address, city, state, and zip code!)


Not long ago, I happened across a box of letters my mother-in-law had written to my father-in-law in 1944, during the first summer after their wedding. She had apparently returned to Colorado for the summer, leaving him in Michigan. Her letters were full of the same tone she continued to take with him during the years I knew them -reminding him of the chores he should be doing, providing detailed accounts of her daily activities, along with complaints about the weather. These were certainly not conventional love letters, yet he had kept them together in a box for over 40 years, this record of their time apart which her voice clearly communicated in the words she chose to put on paper.
In written communication, we are often able to express things that are difficult to verablize. Writing letters gives you a chance to consider your words carefully before putting them to paper, and offers the advantage of being physically distance from the recipient while they're reading. Sometimes it's easier to share feelings we might otherwise be reticent about -both positive and negative.
And love letters certainly provide history for the life of a relationship. In a recent essay in Newsweek magazine, journalist and novelist Anna Quindlen wrote about the power of writing in the lives of ordinary people. "Words on paper confer a kind of immortality," she writes. "Wouldn't all of us love to have a journal, a memoir, a letter, from those we have loved and lost? Shouldn't we all of us leave a bit of that behind?"

That's certainly why I've safeguarded all my love letters. Like miniature time machines, they transport me back to moments in my history, providing me with a tangible artifact that lets me connect with the writer as they were at the moment of writing.

How about you? Have you written and/or kept love letters? Perhaps Valentine's Day is a good day to write one to someone you love :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes! There's something magical about love letters, especially these days when email is so dominant. I love these little bits of history in someone's handwriting - and you're right, the really cherished ones are the precious notes from children. My daughter sent me email yesterday which brought a tear to my eye - love is a powerful thing and it should be celebrated more than one day a year. Lovely post, Becca!

2/14/2007  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

I love this post, Becca! It's also the first post I read in several days! I wish I had saved all my love letters too... The ones received and the ones sent. A few years ago I was madly in love with someone living faraway from me. I wrote intense letters and emails full of love and emotion. I deleted all of them when we broke up, in fear of looking back at them and feeling it all over again. Now that it's history, I wish I had them... Just to revisit that wild, vulnerable and mad part of me!

2/14/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I love letters (both reading and writing) but my husband and I have never written to each other. Sometimes I wish I could exchange letter with people I have met through blogging, but it seems so slow compared to e-mail. There's something about writing letters on paper and mailing them that makes them more personal.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2/14/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

How wonderful that you have these. I can't write anymore so I kept our love emails and we laugh at how mushy we were. HUGS

2/15/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

My most treasured artificats are the letters my grandmother typed to me (she loved using her typewriter) and then carefully signed "Grandma" in beautiful script.
Wonderful post, Becca! Peace, JP

2/15/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]schlechtes wetter strauss[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]twister wetter lyrics[b][/url]

2/07/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home