Tuesday, July 17, 2007

And the Rain Came Down

It's been so long since we had a rainy day here, but finally the sky relinquished some of that miracle water it's been holding on to for the past six weeks. It's a niggling amount, really, skinny little streams tracing down in thin lines from those bloated grey clouds, but even this skimpy portion has lent a greenish glow to the parched grass on my front lawn, grass that looked and felt like straw last night as we scuffed across it on our evening walk.

There's something calming about a drizzly day like this, especially after many days of endless sunshine. Don't get me wrong, I love sunshine. Sunny days urge you outdoors into movment and activity, but a cool rainy day invites you to slow down, settle in where its warm and dry. There is definitely something to be said for being tucked up cozy inside with tea and a book at the ready, while the outside world performs its ablutions in peace.

I came home early from work today ~the house is eerily empty and quiet with my kids gone back to their own home in the land of eternal sunshine. Molly is curled up on the bed here in the guest room, her head tucked into Nantana's pillow. Molly seems to feel that she and Nantana are "soul sisters," and she cleves to the girl with an obsessive devotion. So she's sad, and pouting a little bit I think, hoping I'll take pity and give her an extra cookie.

My plan was to do some errands on the way home, clean up the house, do some laundry, make something for dinner...yet here I am, curled up in the armchair with dogs at my side, writing, reading, listening to the rain coming down, sort of reveling in this peacefulness. I think I'll give myself this gift of refreshment today, a day to enjoy some simple pleasures. Let the rain come down.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger claireylove said...

It's been raining on and off all day here too ~ so I say let's hear it for those simple pleasures Becca!

7/17/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

We all need that refreshment. I'm glad you're able to enjoy a few moments to yourself after your company has gone; the errands can wait.

7/17/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about too much sunshine. Balance is vital and every so often a rainy day is such a blessing. Yours sounds very enjoyable.

7/17/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Mmm. Sounds like my kind of home-early-from-work day. I hope you'll let yourself stay curled up with a book and then do something very simple for dinner.

It's sunny here, but the fog hasn't pulled all the way back out to sea for several days - it sits just on the other side of our hills and then pours back in just before dusk. It's a cooler July than usual.

7/17/2007  
Blogger jzr said...

That's one of my favorite kind of days!! I hope you've enjoyed every second!

7/17/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is precisely why I love rainy days! I am exicited because we have rain in the forecast and I feel justified in staying inside and doing all my 'me' things.

7/17/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes! It's been raining here for about six weeks until the last couple of days. And I think simple pleasures -particularly when it's raining - are the best.

7/18/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home