Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's Been a Hard Days Night

Thursday nights are choir nights at our church, and we've started off the year with a very ambitious project~we're mounting a production of South Pacific, not the full show, but a slightly revised version. It includes all the songs, and a good bit of the dialogue. Tonight was our first full rehearsal.

The show goes up in two weeks.

That's right. Two weeks.

If you've ever been involved with any kind of musical production, you'll know that's slightly ludicrous. But our church has a long history of doing full out musicals, so most of the people in the choir are used to this kind of thing.

However...

Our choir director "invited me" to play the second piano part of the accompaniment, which is scored for two pianos and...well, two pianos. That's it.

Okay, I've played lots of musicals before, and this isn't terribly hard music. Our regular organist will be playing the other part, and she's a phenomenal musician.

However (and you knew there would be a however)...

We don't have the music yet.

The show is in two weeks.

There are 42 songs.

"The music's been shipped! They promised me it would be here tomorrow!" our choir director assured me tonight. Hmmm...I think she told me that last Thursday night.

My friend Sandy, the other accompanist involved, gave me "the look" that says, "Don't you just love being taken completely for granted?"

A few years ago, I would have been completely freaked out about this situation.

However, perhaps it's because I'm older and wiser, or perhaps it's just hormones (remember, I blame everything on hormones these days), I'm really not terribly worried. I figure, que sera sera - I'll do the best I can. After all, since it's for church, I'm hoping God will guide my fingertips.

Even if it is South Pacific.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

I saw South Pacific in Ireland when I was nine years old and still know all the songs by heart.

I hope the music gets here soon. You do sound very calm about it.

And yes, hormones are responsible for everything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

9/21/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I love musicals and "South Pacific" is among the many I've seen over and over. I'm sure it will be terrific and the crowd will go home with smiles and their faces and toes tapping. :)

9/21/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I was married on Bali Hai and the woman who sang on the beach was a child in the movie. She serenaded us with all the songs. I wish I could hear you play.

The hormones are always a source of stress. :) HUGS

I bought the Gevalia coffee pot and it is fabulous!

9/21/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to play the hormones card every chance I get -- menopause might as well be useful for something!! I hope you receive the music STAT -- can't wait to hear how this all works out!!

9/21/2007  
Blogger Bibi said...

I love the music in South Pacific ... my mom used to play it over and over when I was a kid and I often sing "gonna wash that man right outta my hair" while I'm in the shower.

As they say in theatre: It'll be alright on the night!

9/21/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home