Monday, May 29, 2006

Resolutions Redux

For those of us who work in schools, summertime is like a mini New Year. When I think of three months without classes, rehearsals, and performances to prepare for, my mind literally roils with all the things I want to do. Here are some of the things bubbling around in my head:
  1. This summer, I am determined to lose the 15 pounds of pre-menopausal fat that have mysteriously accumulated in various places on my body over the past two years. Tomorrow, I'm going to FitZone for Women and sign up. I will then faithfully return there every Monday, Thursday, and Friday and spend 30 minutes on the treadmills, bicycles, or circuit training machines. So there, body! Take that!
  2. This summer, I am delving into a new creative realm-photography. Jim has always been the family photographer, and he's so darn good at it I was never tempted to try it myself. But I just bought myself an Olympus 310, my own personal digital camera, and can't wait to start snapping. Hopefully, I'll have some shots good enough to post on this site.
  3. This summer, I'm going to continue writing, and explore an online workshop or class, as well as seek out new blogs to inspire me, so that I can prepare at least one personal essay or short story to submit for publication.
  4. This summer, I'm going to get one of my Beethoven Piano Sonata's back in shape. For the past couple of years I've been playing Mozart and Haydn, while my vintage Artur Schnabel editions of the Beethoven gathered dust in the basement. I pulled one out the other day and was immediatly struck by the way he enlarged the sonata form and made it so exciting. As I paged through Volume 1, I was surprised at how many of them I had actually learned once upon a time.
  5. This summer, I'm going to read Dickens' Bleak House and watch the new BBC mini-series, which was highly recommended by my friend Shari, who has very discerning taste when it comes to TV. I'm also going to explore more poetry, since I've been inspired by Poetry Thursday.
  6. This summer, I'll be cooking more, exploring some healthy eating options (in keeping with Number 1 on my list). I'm off to Barnes and Noble later today for some cookbook shopping.
  7. This summer, as every summer, I'm going to relish more time with my family, my doggies, and the outdoors. I'm making it a priority to visit my mother in law every week, as well as my aunt and uncle. It's amazing how an hour spent watching the doggies can cheer them up. I'm also hoping for daily walks in the park with Magic and Molly, and lots of opportunites to sit on the patio with my book and a cold glass of wine, watching the sun go down and the fireflies come out.

So much for my summer resolutions. I have to keep tamping down new ones as they pop into my mind, knowing how easy it is to be overcome with ideas and then lack the courage to begin anything! Earlier today, I got excited about scrapbooking, after seeing some awesome digital scrapbook entries on a blog I ran across. That would tie in so well with my new photography pursuit...

4 Comments:

Blogger susanlavonne said...

Congratulations! What an amazing summer you have planned...I cannot wait to see what you do with the camera...you are going to love it! The best thing about digital is that it costs nothing to experiment your little heart out.
I still have 11 days (82 and a half hours)...but who's counting...(for non-teachers, that does not include weekends).
I love the feeling of that first Sunday night when you say to yourself, "I don't HAVE to get up tomorrow...or the next day...or the next day..."

5/29/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such great summer resolutions! You're going to have a busy one, doing all that. You'll have fun w/ the camera, because you can take pictures easily, just about anywhere and get reasonable results - even if you're an amateur, like me! I envy you the piano playing - our apartment is too small to accommodate one. Enjoy yourself - I'll be looking forward to reading about your experiences! :)

5/30/2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

every single one of those summer resolutions sounds wonderful -- I've also been wanting to take a photography class, to set myself new cooking challenges, and to spend more time outdoors. How wonderful to have several months to dedicate to yourself!

5/30/2006  
Blogger papyrus said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my post. You may like to know that I've posted a sequel. You can find it here:
http://my-thoughts-for-a-penny.blogspot.com/2006/05/first-love-sequel.html

5/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home