Monday, June 19, 2006

Back in the Real World

It's been a very short Monday, a day with not nearly enough hours. Trying to regain my equilibrium after a week away has seemed unusually difficult. I was attempting to get in a few minutes of everything I had on my summer "resolutions" list - there was a haiku to compose and a photo to take for One Deep Breath, all those great posts at Sunday Scribblings to read, a stack of library books to return (and of course who could resist perusing the new arrival shelves), a workout at the gym, the Beethoven Sonata still open on the piano, plus doggies who hadn't been walked for a week, grocery shopping for me and my mom, a weeks worth of mail...well, you get the picture.

Nevertheless, I'm rather glad to be home. I actually don't like taking vacations in the summer, because being home in the summer is it's own vacation. From September to May, I have not only my office job to contend with, but also school rehearsals and concerts, church choir rehearsals and service responsibilities, plus the schedule of subscription concerts and plays I always attend - Detroit Symphony, The Hilberry Theater, Measure for Measure (my husband's men's choir), et al. Every day is filled to the max. But from June to August, there is absolutely nothing on my calendar. I flip through all those blank pages and just shake my head in wonder. I am so protective of those empty days, that I don't even want to give them up to go on vacation!

However, if today was any indication of the way this summer is going to go, I'm not too happy about it. Fact is, the day got completely out of my control. I felt like I was standing in the middle of a funnel cloud, being spun around in a frenzied circle, and when it finally stopped I was too dizzy and disoriented to accomplish anything!

So, it's 11:00 pm, and I'm once again here at my keyboard, the place I started this day, sipping Chardonnay now instead of Gevalia coffee. The puppies are sleeping contentedly under the cool breeze from the ceiling fan, resting from their late evening walk. My haiku and photo are posted. My muscles are starting to feel just a little sore from the morning's workout at FitZone.
We had a lovely (healthy) grilled chicken dinner, with rice and fresh green salad. I worked out the "A" section on the Beethoven F major Sonata. The mail is sorted, and my little stack of things to take to work/bank/post office is piled neatly on the kitchen table.

Actually, I guess I accomplished more that I thought. After all, it's summer, and tomorrow is another day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

Well, that does sound like a full day. Yes, being home is wonderful and not something most of us get to do often enough. Enjoy!

6/19/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It sounds to me as though you accomplished quite a lot in one day - certainly more than I managed on Monday. Hope you have many many enjoyable "blank" days of summer, to fill as you wish.

6/20/2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

And on top of all this, you want to co-host a Grateful Friday site. LOL. But seriously, summer for me is great stay-at-home time as well. Much better than traveling into the hot summer. I love late fall to early spring for vacation best.

6/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home