Thursday, June 22, 2006

Poetry Thursday



STORM CLOUDS
Black as ground coffee
they percolate low on the horizon,
roiling, boiling,
bubbling to the surface.
Lifegiving
they overflow their cup of sky
soaking parched soil
with warm elixir.
Sated at last,
earth wakens with a smile.
This week's prompt on Poetry Thursday suggested a poem using words we love and/or words we hate. Anyone who knows me is aware that coffee is one of my great obsessions. As I was drinking this morning's brew, a much needed summer storm rolled in. The moist downpour was a jolt of caffeine to our dry, brown grass and wilted flowers. They perked up just like I do after my first cup! I love all these works associated with making coffee too, especially "percolate"- (thanks, Annie!) So, it seemed natural to put it all together.

6 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Becca, this is marvelous. You have totally capture the essense of the brew from start to finish. One of these Thursday I'll have to participate in Poetry Thursday. Oh and re: percolate - you are very welcome :-) Cool, cool word.

6/22/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Perfection! I need to run to Starbucks :) Great job with comparision.

6/22/2006  
Blogger Kim said...

I love the java myself and this is a great poem using words related to brewing a good cup of coffee. Wonderful!

6/22/2006  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I love coffee and storms
Great poem

6/22/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Becca what a wonderful poem! I'm not a coffee drinker - sadly, it hurts my stomach - but I think your poem using the storm/coffee theme is fantastic!

6/23/2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

love it - now I must hit the coffee shop we are out of beans!

6/23/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home