Tuesday, July 18, 2006

One Deep Breath-Urban Haiku

This week's prompt at One Deep Breath was Urban Haiku. I'm not a huge fan of big cities, and as a matter of fact, the older I get the more I wish I could live in a place like Mayberry! I admit there is an excitement about the idea of living and working in a cosmopolitan city like New York or San Franciso, or Paris. Somehow, Detroit (which is my nearest big city) just doesn't have the same appeal. At any rate, here are some haiku based on impressions of urban life.


street corner cafe
favorite brew and the Times
my morning pleasure

bumper to bumper
impatient engines grumble
freeway gridlock


skyscrapers spread like wildfire
from cities to my backyard
urban sprawl

12 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

Becca, i love this....you've got the knack haven't you.
so succinct.

i think i have a serious haiku obsession going on at the moment. i keep thinking in syllables!!

lovely:)

7/18/2006  
Blogger trailbee said...

Your haiku sound like LA during the day. It's different at night. I like your blog.

7/18/2006  
Blogger Star said...

The third is my favorite...urban sprawl. Yup. Your haikus seem to come as easy as white pet hair to a pair of clean black slacks.

Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

7/18/2006  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

i particularly like the second one of these - it really gives the impression of those crowded city streets.

7/19/2006  
Blogger Ian russell said...

your first sounds quite idyllic though i know the next two are how i feel about being in the city.

superb haiku, becca.

7/19/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

It sounds like the city to me!!

7/19/2006  
Blogger Cate said...

I love them all, but my favorite is #3. So true! I esp. enjoyed the concept of the skyscrapers spreading like wildfire!

And I'm exactly the same as you--as I get older, Mayberry sounds more and more appealing!

7/19/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

These were AWSOME! I loved each one, you haiku guru you! XXOO

7/19/2006  
Blogger claireylove said...

Great haikus, and I'm greatly tempted by the delicious image of the first. 'My morning pleasure'- now there's a t-shirt slogan ;-)

7/19/2006  
Blogger Emily said...

I'm a city girl here in Baltimore, which I always think has a lot in common with Detroit...a lot of grit without too much charm? I really like these haiku...the last was my favorite.

7/19/2006  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

these are so precise in truth and so cleverly written!!
i love/hate the second one because it will too soon be my reality again :-)

and "spread like wildfire"...wow!

7/20/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

These are all terrific! Well done, you!

7/21/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home