Wednesday, July 5, 2006

A Day of Emminent Beauty

This morning's view from my back porch

There was really nothing special about today - it was just an ordinary Wednesday (which actually felt like a Monday because of the extra long holiday weekend). But there was something so perfectly summerlike about it - the sky a glorious azure, nicely dotted with puffy white clouds, the breeze soft and refreshingly cool, the steam from the coffee cup I took onto the porch swirling exotically in front of my nose- that it seemed to have a mystical aura. As soon as I got to the office, I opened the window nearest my desk, and was treated to a riotous concert of birds all a-twitter, drowning out the monotonous sound of my tap-tapping fingers on the keyboard. We've had just enough rain this summer that our little avian friends can enjoy puddle baths on a daily basis, and their musical abilities have improved greatly because of it!

Over the past few years, there has been some discussion in our house about moving to Florida full time. After all, our only child has made his life there, and we already have a lovely, brand new home waiting for us. I admit that the winters here in the midwest can be brutally cold, gray, and interminaby long. I'm all for Florida in the winter, where most of the days feel a lot like today. But Florida in the summer - oh, it's really unpleasant. Hot heavy air, deluges of rain when you least expect it, and of course, the ever present threat of devastion from hurricanes.

So, sitting on my back porch enjoying the sunset on the waning hours of this astoundingly beautiful day in Michigan, I had a bit of an epiphany. I don't want to give up summers like these. I guess part of me will always be a "Michigander"- it's more home to me than I thought.

4 Comments:

Blogger susanlavonne said...

Wow! This is out your back window?! Is your house in the middle of a park??? It's gorgeous!

7/06/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I don't think I'd want to give up a back yard like that either. There is a quality to the air in a place you belong that needs to be acknowledged and valued. It sounds like you know where your soul is home.

7/06/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful view! And living two places seems like the best of both worlds. That's what we hope to do ultimately.

7/07/2006  
Blogger Star said...

How gorgeous is your view!? A beautiful way to start each day. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to summer in Michigan and winter in Florida; it sounds like the perfect combination.

7/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home