Friday, June 23, 2006

Sunday Scribblings- Music



Music is such a powerful force in my life, I hardly know where to begin. Should I describe the way my fingers ache to touch piano keys when I'm away from a keyboard for more than a day or two? Or the complete fulfillment I experience when I'm playing with my handbell group and the 14 of us are like one big instrument, totally connected, and the music flows effortlessly toward the audience? How about the chills that run down my spine when the high school choir I'm accompanying achieves a perfect blend on that last chord, sending the final note soaring into the air? I love making music more than anything else I do.

But it isn't just the act of playing music that has been so life changing for me. Music has helped me face down my fears - of performing, of traveling, of speaking in front of people - and in doing so, has given me the confidence to pursue so many other avenues in my life. Through making music, I have met some of the most remarkable, inspirational people I have ever known, and made lifelong friends of all ages. And, most importantly, music led me to my true love. I met my husband when I was 13 and he was 15 - we were piano duet partners then, and have been partners in life for the past 30 years.

So you see, I could write a book about the importance of music in my life. It would be a book full of lyrical melodies, exciting rhythms, and fascinating harmonies. It would be a book that never ends, because for me, this song will go on forever.

11 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

What a beautiful tribute to the important role music has played in your life! Wonderful post! I envy you the piano - no room in my small apartment for one and I love to play.

6/24/2006  
Blogger NuttersNotes said...

You shared a bench long before you shared a bed...very romantic. Congrats on the wedlock and to finding a higher plane through playing music.

6/24/2006  
Blogger TMTW said...

Music is wonderful, and to be able to play it... that is just having your soul express its joy!

6/24/2006  
Blogger Kim said...

This is so beautiful. Music holds such an amazing power. Wonderful post!

6/24/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

This lovely piece emanates your love of music and how that love has been a constant source of joy!
Beautifully expressed :)

6/24/2006  
Blogger claireylove said...

Thnaks for this beautiful peek into the significance of music in your life!

6/25/2006  
Blogger Star said...

This is a great piece, Becca. A beautiful expression of how music fills your life on so many levels. I wish I could hear you play!

6/25/2006  
Blogger Bella said...

because for me the song will go on forever!
what a powerful line.
such a beautiful post.

http://deelovelee.typepad.com/mamamuses/

6/25/2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

How utterly romantic Becca. Bravo on your gifts and the great love it has brought you and sustained you with.

6/26/2006  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh I have always longed to play an instrument-for the exact reasons you list.....

6/26/2006  
Blogger Brad said...

Yes, it has been years since I played in my HS band. I miss that feeling.

bg

6/27/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home