Thursday, November 16, 2006

Novel Mania Continues

We're halfway through November, which means the Christmas hype is in full swing. Some people (like me!) valiantly try to hold off acknowledging the arrival of the Christmas season until after Thanksgiving, but its getting more difficult to do that each year as media and retailers jerk us into Christmas before Halloween is even over.

Halfway through Novemeber also means halfway through NaNoWriMo (current word count 27, 308), and here are some things I've discovered as I muddle my way through this process:

I love the way everything I've read about the writing process is absolutely true...not waiting for inspiration, but just sitting before the page and letting your inner artist guide you, showing up at the page at the same time every day (and night!), just writing it down without letter your inner critic have any time to play with it...all these things work!

I love the way my characters are making me look at my own life differently...for example, the main character in my story is terminally ill, so a major focus is the way we spend time on earth. Its sobering, particularly because the basis for my story is a true situation, and also because I have some other friends who are also facing serious illness. It's forcing me to look at many aspects in my life - the way I spend my time and who I spend it with - in another light. I've been visiting a very interesting blog that speaks to this very issue, in quite touching and exciting ways.

I love the way this venture has empowered me (and lots of others!) to complete something most of us never imagined we could. Yea, encouragement for stepping outside the box!

I hate the way my creative energy is consumed with this project, so there seems to be nothing left for my other creative activities - like poetry and haiku, writing posts for the blog, and even music.

As you can see, the loves far outweigh the hates, which is always my test of whether something is a good idea or not! So, I will soldier on...more updates when time allows...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

So much for that reserve about not finishing by the end of month. You're over halfway through!

I'm so glad you're finding such pleasure in the writing and that the things you've heard and read are working out for you.

I know at the moments when I'd be having a bit of a block and then something would come to me, I'd just be tapping away on the laptop with visions of Diane Keaton in "Something's Gotta Give." She would laugh and cry and shout...and write. What a process!

I'm a fan of 37 days too. She has brought more than one moment of insight to my doorstep and I have several of her posts tagged in my delicious account--always good to go back and review.

Take time to express your creativity through your novel; we'll all still be here when you're back :D

11/16/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

There really is something magical that happens when you allow the story to tell itself through you - without editing or directing what comes to the page. There have been times when I've realized, after the fact, that what I've written has gone to the heart of something too painful to face head-on, but through fiction it finds a voice and some clarity.

I've been reading 37 days as well, she has some good things to say.

11/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself try to hold off until after Thanksgiving. Do you remember once upon a time when Christmas decorations didn't go up until after Thanksgiving?
Excellent on your word count! You're going to make it my friend! Imagine me here cheering you on like the runners get cheered on at the sidelines. "Go Becca! You can do it! Woohoo!"

11/16/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Hooray for your persistence! And it's true about just getting something down on paper and worrying about the editing later. The process is such a huge part of achieving a goal - sort of like Woody Allen's quote "95 percent of life is showing up." And showing up at the computer/typewriter/journal goes a long way towards writing that novel. Well done, Becca!

11/16/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Very brave of you Becca ... maybe next year I'll be up for the challenge. It sounds like an amazing (if difficult) process. keep up the good work, JP

11/16/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

Sounds like you are working hard, having fun and learning oh so much!! I can't wait to find you on the best seller list!!

11/17/2006  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

congrats for tackling this! I give you a lot of credit, and am glad you're mostly loving it!

11/19/2006  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Congratulations on keeping up with the 50000 word challenge!!

11/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home