Thursday, February 15, 2007

Poetry Thursday-Prose Poems

Being totally unfamiliar with prose poetry, I turned to the one I consider "the master" of all things poetry. I wasn't disappointed...


Thirst
Another morning and I wake with thirst
for the goodness I do not have. I walk
out to the pond and all the way God has
given us such beautiful lessons. Oh Lord,
I was never a quick scholar but sulked
and hunched over my books past the
hour and the bell; grant me, in your
mercy, a little more time. Love for the
earth and love for you are having such a
long conversation in my heart. Who
knows what will finally happen or
where I will be sent, yet already I have
given a great many things away, expect-
ing to be told to pack nothing, except the
prayers which, with this thirst, I am
slowly learning.
~Mary Oliver~

8 Comments:

Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I totally agree. Indeed a master.Thanks for sharing this. I will look her up.


gautami
Ambrosial.

2/16/2007  
Blogger Regina said...

Jusr beautiful- I needed to read that this morning... I love M.O.

2/16/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

A beautiful choice.

2/16/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

That's a lovely example of prose poetry - thank you.

2/16/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful...very moving...

2/16/2007  
Blogger rel said...

Becca,
Mary Oliver was a great writter because she had some great insights and wrote about them in a beautiful way. She can make a believer out of the most jaded cynic.
Thanks for sharing a prime example of prose poetry for us to gage our own feeble efforts against. ;-)
rel

2/17/2007  
Blogger Jone said...

A favorite poet of mine. Thank you for sharing.

2/17/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

This was a wonderful choice and one I had never read ;)

2/17/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home