Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Whew!

Whirlwinds, cyclones, hurricanes, dervishes...all perfect ways to describe my life these past few days, even weeks or months, really. From the time I get up in the morning, until I finally lay my head on the pillow each night, I feel as if I'm in a constant state of motion.
Yesterday, as I was driving (for the third time in one day!) toward the high school for (yet another!) rehearsal, I found myself teary eyed. Maybe it was the warm spring breeze and cloudless blue sky, or perhaps it was the song I happened across on the radio, a folk song called 45 Years From Now. Most likely it was because yesterday was my 31st wedding anniversary, and I was remembering what my life was like in those newlywed days. I had so much time back then...each day seemed to last an eternity, because I was home alone while Jim was working long hours, building his career. I worked too, but desultorily, part time music jobs, teaching piano lessons, taking some classes here and there. Mostly, I played house. Decorating, cooking, shopping, all the things that 21 year old girls with their first home like to do.
The pace of my life stepped up quite a bit when Brian was born. Still, the days seemed endlessly long, with so much time to fill, caring for and playing with an active, curious little boy. There always seemed to be time for walks in the park, or sledding on the hills, reading, watching movies, play dates and games.
Truthfully, sometimes during those years, time weighed heavily on my hands. For many years, Jim worked excruciatingly long hours - 60 or 70 in a week. And he traveled, too, for extended periods of time. I learned how to live almost alone, almost a single mother sometimes. In those days, the time between dinner and bedtime was horribly long, and I clearly remember feeling overburdened, restless, and resentful.
It's a cliche, I know, but I would love to go back to those days, to the time when my life revolved around nothing more than a child and a house, (and occasionally a man), when the due date on a stack of library books was the only deadline I needed to worry about, when the most pressing thing on my agenda was baking chocolate chip cookies or playing another round of Candyland.
Where did all that time go? The older I get, the faster it speeds by, and I'm constantly trying to cram all my responsibilities and committments into days that seem to be getting shorter and shorter. The proud young "homemaker" who cleaned house religiously every Monday and Thursday, tried out one new recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook each week, and was up to date on every episode of Dr. T. Berry Brazelton's What Every Baby Knows, has not dusted or vacuumed in weeks, relies on Papa Romano's and Chin's Chinese far too often, and hasn't even spoken to her son in almost two weeks. Whew.
So, how do I fix this mess I'm in? How do I dial back a life that is out of control and spiraling into disaster? Because this past week has left me feeling that disaster is lurking around the corner unless I find more time for myself and the things that are important to me.

I'm moving that question to the top of my list of things to figure out~as soon as I have the time.
PS...I wrote this poem last summer, and it's very appropriate to this post...
Time
Flying
doesn't begin to describe
what happens to it
More like
disintegrate, evaporate, eviscerate
My lack of it
cuts me
like the sharpest of knives
in my drawer
The one I use for carrots
or steak
Little pieces of it
get swept into the dust bin
tossed away
before I know they're gone
Panicked
I rummage through trash
hoping to find a morsel
I can still put to good use
Elated
I grab scraps -
ten minutes here
fifteen there
Could it be I've found
one hour
soggy and tattered
amidst the rubble?
Clutching this treasure
this time of my own,
I weep
Then throw wide the door
and
fly

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. It's really honest and refreshing.

See mine at http://janiceboling.blogspot.com/

Seems we have a lot in common.

5/09/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how do I fix this mess I'm in? How do I dial back a life that is out of control and spiraling into disaster?

I wish I knew the answers to your questions. When you find out the answers, please promise to post them. I'm sure that'd make you the most popular blogger ever!

5/10/2007  
Blogger jzr said...

I feel your pain, Becca, and know where you are coming from. Sometimes just taking time for yourself is necessary despite other committments. You must take care of yourself first and foremost, otherwise you can not help anyone else. Your writing is the key to where you are going. You are writing to yourself. Be sure to listen to what you are saying.

5/10/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Yes, dialing back the clock might provide more time, but I don't think I'd choose to do it even now. Each time in my own life has come with its own set of challenges, and I'd rather keep moving forward than to go back. I have played the "what if" game and wondered about how my life would be now if I'd made different choices with key decisions and I think I'd probably be somewhere else with different people and different challenges, but the the challenges would still be there.

As jzr implies, writing is a good way to work through these challenges, and I think your own writing has brought you right up to the fork in the road. Taking that first step down the correct path will bring relief and inject new energy as you pick up pace in this new direction.

Forge ahead without regret!

5/10/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Becca, I pray you find time for you and not just a "soggy hour." This poem was marvelous!!!!

5/10/2007  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I found myself breathless by the end of that post. Reminder - however fast things are going, it's a good thing to slow down and breathe, breathe, breathe. Take a breath and maybe things won't feel so frantic. Great poem!

5/10/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Becca - I am currently living the life you are now missing so much. I try, very hard, to keep my focus on the here and now.. but I can relate to those long hours between dinner and bedtime.
I wish there was something in your schedule that you could let go of because this time issue seems to pop up a lot. I'm sure if there was, you would have done it already.
I don' know if there is anything I can offer you to help? Maybe 'time' will wrinkle out along the way and someday soon, some precious hours will free up for you.
Your poem was lovely and perfectly fits your current situation.
Send me an email if you ever need to vent.. I'm always here.

5/10/2007  
Blogger Shaz said...

I do hope you can slow down sweetness, and I agree with each comment ;) Take Care

5/11/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I think asking those questions is the first step in answering them. A friend of mine would suggest that you sit down and write an intention ~ a statement to youself, for yourself, about what you intend to have happen. It's funny how powerful statements and thoughts can be. Much love and peace to you dear Becca, JP

5/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home