Monday, August 27, 2007

Encyclopedia of Me Monday: C Is For...Change

When I was a young(er) woman, I didn't give a lot of thought to creating change in my life. It's unfortuante too, because, whether from fear, immaturity, or just laziness, I let life happen to me far too often in those years, content to sit back in my pleasant existence waiting for new experiences to come to me.

As I surf through my blogroll, reading the thoughts and dreams of so many other women, I'm struck by the scores of "30-something" women who are actively pursing their dreams, making huge, conscious choices to effect major change in their lives. My son and daughter in law are like that, and I marvel at the way they think about and discuss their life plans, putting things into motion to make their dreams come true.

But when I think about making life changes, I feel all adrift, completely out of my element, confused, not knowing where to start. I've read about "vision boards," collages of pictures, words, or artifacts that express meaningful ideas about life and what you would like it to be. Perhaps in putting together my own vision board, ideas about change would become clearer.

Because (contrary to the way I was brought up to think) change can be a good thing. It can mean new opportunities, revelations in ourselves and our relationships. And yes, I suppose those are scary. But the scarier thing to me right now is how stagnant my life seems. I feel the urge to create change this time around, and not rest comfortably in my easy chair waiting for the universe to move.

Earlier today, I came across this quote from a book called Ask and It is Given:

"You ask through your attention, through your wanting, through your desire--that is the asking (whether you desire it to happen, or if you desire it not to happen, you are asking...). You do not have to use your words. You just have to feel it in your being: I desire this. I adore this. I appreciate this, and so on. That desire is the beginning of all action."

What a powerful thought, that the universe can be energized to move by the power of desire. Practicing this concept in life would certainly be courting change, wouldn't it?

"Things that seem too good to be true, usually are," my mother always told me.
And parts of this credo certainly seem idealized. By focusing thoughts and mental energy toward my most desirable dreams, could I have the power to steer life in the direction I (and it) need to move, creating changes that are meaningful and lasting?

I don't mind telling you, my heart flutters with excitment at the thought.
All those caterpillar dreams hanging from the cobwebs in my mind suddenly have an opportunity to become butterflies.

It's a lot to think about on a Monday, but a worthy entry into the encyclopedia of me.


Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I was just "chatting" with another blogger today about quotes. Quotes are really capturing my attention lately--thank you for sharing this one!

Like you, I see so many thirtysomethings that are making positive steps toward fulfilling their dreams and I wish I had gotten excited about something earlier. There is still time, but I feel I have let a lot of years go by that could have been lived more fully.

I'm excited to see where your "C" takes you.

8/27/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I sound as if we were raised in similar ways. "Be careful" was one of my mother's fav sayings because as far as she was concerned change was always fraught with peril.

A few years ago I started to consciously try to overcome that fear of change programing and learned a great phrase from a yoga teacher. Now I remind myself that "energy flows where attention goes" so that no matter what I choose to do I am putting energy into it. Somehow this idea seems to make me feel more comfortable with change.

8/28/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, all of those dreams that have been tucked away are still possible. I believe that. I'm one of those thirty-somethings, but I believe I will still have the excitement to see my dreams come to fruition in my 50's & 60's (possibly my 70's if I am still active enough). Life is short and it flies by fast. (I never would have believed that 10 years ago). I hope that your dreams take you places you never imagined... and of course, I wouldn't mind reading about them here in the future!!! Anything is possible my friend!! xo

8/28/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

It's never too late and I think a vision board is a good nudge. I'm so responsible I tend to get in my own way. I'm keeping my dream vision's firmly running through my mind. Great post!

8/28/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I struggle sometimes with wanting to actively seek the dream out there for me but not being able to figure out what it is. I am trying to be open to the signs and not force it too much.
I love your encyclopedia.

8/28/2007  
Blogger Rich said...

Just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog, and hope to post more inspiring photos in the near future. Still learning on this blogging deal.:-)

8/29/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I too fear stagnation more than change ... I think it's fueled many changes. Wonderfully reflective post, xx, JP/deb

8/29/2007  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

Great post, Becca. I definitely believe that the quote represents truth. For me, that belief comes not from the idea of some outside god/force taking control, but because as I focus my desires and attention on something, my actions automatically change to reflect that. Like if I really want/need a day to relax, I'll find myself working really hard to get things done early so I can make time for that day off. And not in a conscious way--it just happens.

8/30/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the part in your post where you wrote..."All those caterpillar dreams etc....." I hope you dont mind but I have written it out and now it is on my inspiration board, thanks for inspiring me.

8/31/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful post. I think change is always good, but maybe that's because it's been the one constant in my life, since I was 17. I just wish I could go back a few years, knowing what I know now, and really accomplish some things I was hesitant about at the time.

9/01/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I know what you mean about stagnant, though for me its not my life (which is great) but very specifically my job and that seems the most difficult place to make changes.

9/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home