Monday, August 13, 2007

Encyclopedia of Me Monday: A Is For...

Monday's are kind of strange days, aren't they? I always have this urge to write, but I sometimes feel a bit of let down from the weekend and not very inspired. Or else, I'm all excited from my weekend, and have so many things I want to write about, I can't seem to choose just one. Now, thanks to Bella Dia (whom I found via Patti Digh, at 37 Days) I have a new Monday project~The Encyclopedia of Me. A catalog of life, one alphabet letter at a time...what fun! Bella Dia's plan is to post on a new letter every day, but my thought is to make this a Monday project, so I'll have a way to kickstart my writing week every single week, at least for the next 26 weeks. If you want to play along, feel free to do so in whatever way the spirit moves you.

Aging...not a popular topic among my friends and relations, all of whom are feeling the effects of mounting years. It's not all that popular with me, either, especially today, when my bones feel stiff and creaky, my eyes aren't working all that well without my reading glasses, my pants are all too tight. Frankly, I feel decidedly curmudgeonly.

But I'm trying to have a good attitude (another "A" word) about aging. After all, I no longer get carded when I buy wine, I don't care whether my shoes are stylish as long as they don't hurt my bunions, and I occasionally get "senior discounts" on hotels and restaurants. I've also found I don't worry as much about things (large or small) and I get less irritated when life doesn't go my way.

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” Charles Swindoll

Sure, I'm getting older, but aging is only a small percentage of what's going on in my life. I have a great family, a couple of jobs I like, lots of loyal friends who are fun to hang around with, and interesting, fulfilling hobbies. So who's to complain about a few grey hairs ( I have a very talented hair stylist, too!) Along with age, I think I've acquired a more mellow attitude about life in general, and that's not all bad!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Oh, how I wish I had read this post this morning, before I started my day. Perhaps it would have gone differently.

You are so right about attitude. Too bad you're also right about the pants getting tighter. I blame the dryer. That's just my attitude.

I look forward to the letter B.

8/13/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

Thanks for the link to the Encyclopedia meme. I loved The Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life and may start this. Thanks.. yes, A is for aging. Today I went back to school for just a few hours and I was exhausted. I had better get with it or I'll be napping the first day of school.

8/13/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

This is a very interesting idea. Maybe it's the jump start I need to get back to my own. blog.

Aging. Me too. Gray hair: check. Pants too tight: check. Joints creaky and aching: check.

Attitude. Great quote from Swindoll (he has buckets of them, doesn't he?).

Just for the record--I have a hard time seeing you as curmudgeonly ;-)

8/14/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I've been feeling this too Becca. Glasses this year, too much grey for light auburn 6R and a tummy pouch. I've never been more complete inside though. ;)

I think I'll follow you. XXOO

8/14/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

These days I get out of low chairs and up off the floor with more effort and sound effects than seem fair. When did this happen to me? But I'm smarter and calmer than ever before, and hopefully, wiser too.

This quote about attitude is something I may print and post on the mirror - a reminder that I do, in fact, have some control over my life.

8/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I love the idea of doing one letter each Monday. Very smart.

And secondly, I agree about the connection between attitude and aging. It all works together as one whole. Have a good attitude and you'll have good aging.

8/14/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea. I might have to join you. I am about to start reading the book Inland empire girl mentioned in her comment here.
I used that Charles Swindell quote in my high school graduation quote.

8/14/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home