Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bored

This might be the only time you ever see that word on my blog~ but there it is. I'm bored.

I know, you're all shaking your heads saying "What the heck? First she complains about never having any time to herself, and now she's bored?"

Human nature is perverse. From September to June, when I'm working two jobs, performing in three or four musical ensembles, and trying to run a household, my body is on overdrive. I'm always longing for just a day or two of empty calendar space. Then, during the summer, everything shuts down. Even my office job fizzles to nothing. For about six weeks, I love the quiet, empty hours, the time to read, write, play whatever music I want, stare out the window, lie in the grass...all that summertime stuff. But, now it's August, and the back to school ads are popping up everywhere. Maybe it's just my body kick-starting itself, but I feel restless and itchy to do something different.

When my son was small, he was always dreaming up creative projects for himself. I've never known a child who was always so busy. But occasionally, he'd meander out to the kitchen or family room, hang around momentarily, and then utter sheepishly..."I'm kinda bored."

"Well," I say, rather nonplussed, "you could go for a bike ride. Or clean your room. Or..."

"Never mind!" he'd say, brightening suddenly. "I just thought of something!" Off he'd go, back to his room or the basement, where he'd disappear for hours completing his next story, drawing, video...whatever great idea had popped into his head.

I guess he gets that from me, because boredom is a rare occurrence in my life. I'm not one who can sit still for very long (unless I'm writing or playing music)~truthfully, I don't even like to go to the movies because sitting still for two hours is painful. Lurking in the back of my mind is always a long list of other things I'd like to be doing.

But this week, I must admit I'm "kinda bored." I could wash windows, or clean the basement, or catch up on some ironing...actually, never mind. I think I just thought of something....

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Christy Woolum said...

sometimes just being bored and doing nothing gives our mind a rest before a whole new creative surge comes on... did you go then and do pages of writing?

8/09/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I've been dealing with moments of the "I'm bored" syndrome with my daughter ... sadly, have not experienced any of them myself ... currently functioning on the "I'm stressed" syndrome. Argh.

Sending you peace, love and happy (non boring) times! xx, JP

8/09/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Dave can barely sit still and at one time I was rarely bored, but I had too learn to live with boredom.

I use TV as a quick mind numbing fix until I find my creative muse. Calling up old friends helps too. ;)

You haiku was lovely.

Thanks for your friendship!
HUGS

8/10/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Remember this feeling when you're going 90 mph and juggling two jobs and a sheaf of music commitments. ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

8/10/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned when I was a girl to never, ever tell my mother that I was bored because she could always find some tedious cleaning chore for me to do. To this day, I hesitate to ever say those words-- even if I am bored.

That being said, I hope that you're enjoying all your boredom. Balance is important in life-- some days busy, some days boring-- is what I figure.

8/10/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I decided a long time ago, when my life was chaotic, that a little boredom was a good thing. But just a little, tiny bit.

8/14/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

so what was it????
:-)

8/15/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home