Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Me, Myself, and I

My friend Barbara is living alone for the first time in over 40 years. "How are you managing?" I ask, expecting her to say she's lonely, lost without her husband's growly voice or crusty sense of humor.

"Well of course I miss Don," she says. "But I have to say, I'm really enjoying my own company!"


What a concept ~ enjoying your own company. In our culture, being a woman alone invites sympathy, pity, even scorn. Women don't get much opportunity to become acquainted with themselves, not with taking care of husbands and homes, children and pets, jobs and hobbies. In the course of a woman's lifetime, she rarely has a minute to be alone.

Another much younger friend is raising her two year old son alone. "Honestly," she said to me, "if I could only go to the bathroom alone, I'd be happy!" Families are a pervasive presence in a woman's life, and even when they aren't physically with us, their needs can still weigh heavily on our minds and hearts. Since I've become my mother's sole source of transportation, I make a point of taking her along on my errands to the market or mall. But the other day, I happened to stop at the grocery store on my way home, and was amazed at how free I felt shopping alone, meandering through the store, checking out when I was finished without waiting for her. Then, of course I was consumed with guilt for having the audacity to prefer being on my own.

While I don't consider myself an introvert, I have always been perfectly happy with my own company. Granted, I've never lived alone-at least not for more than a few days when my husband might be traveling-but I've never feared those hours when the days activity was over and I would be left to my own devices. Probably because I have always had so many interests - reading, playing music, writing, walking - there was always something to keep me busy.

My mother in law had a pathological fear of being alone. She wanted someone with her all the time, and would complain bitterly about "sitting here in this apartment all by myself." I don't think she ever liked herself very much, so it follows that she wouldn't enjoy her own company. Now she's surrounded by people all day, in the "family room" of the Alzheimer's center, and ironically enough, this probably suits her very well.

Women are taught to be nurturers, to think of others needs before our own. But we must learn to love our own company, enjoy taking ourselves for walks, to the movies, even out to dinner. It is in enjoying ourselves that we develop the confidence and assurance to become stronger women in all our roles - wives, mothers, children, and friends.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true, Becca. Since moving into my home 5 years ago, I've had the opportunity to be alone more than I ever was before. While I love the company of a friend or friends, I also love my alone time.
I loved this post. xo.

8/15/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I lived alone for three years when I relocated. It was exactly what I needed at the time. I also need alone time.

8/15/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I love my alone time and dave's retirement sometimes scares me. My oldest hates to be alone and does not like herself. My youngest likes to be alone too much because of insecurities and fears of the outside world. ?

HUGS

8/16/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm so happy to be married now, but the years I spent as a single woman were not difficult. At the time, I knew I had to be responsible for everything, but I also enjoyed the freedoms of being accountable to myself alone.

Great post!

8/16/2007  
Blogger awareness said...

What a wonderful topic.....I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I love being around people and have a very busy interactive home, I crave my time alone.

Solitude and silence is necessary for me on so many levels....from taking the time to find joy through writing, or to figure out who I am. Our best learning happens when we find our time alone even if can be scary at times.

I had forgotten who I was for a long time because I was juggling all of the female roles....my core seemed to have disappeared. it's back now, and I don't intend to give up the time for myself ever again.

cheers to you.

8/16/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

My single years were difficult and often lonely, but I learned more about myself during the many years I was alone than at any other time in my life. I even stopped dating for a couple years just to get my heart and head straightened out. While I wouldn't choose to do it again, I know I'd be okay.

There's something delicious about time alone when you know there's going to be someone at home at the end of it. It's the relentless aloneness that's hard.

8/17/2007  
Blogger Yolanda said...

I too love my time alone. I find that the time alone makes my relationships with family and friends that much stronger.

8/17/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home