Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-Two Cents Worth




I've never been one to spout my opinions on any subject, generally preferring to keep them to myself on the theory that no one really cares what I think anyway so why waste my breath. But since Meg and Laini have invited us to step onto the soapbox, I'll take this opportunity to pass along my two cents on a few subjects:

  1. People just really need to learn to get along better, be more respectful of other's needs and differences, and learn to (occasionally at least) turn the other cheek. This goes for foreign governments and religious leaders all the way to the cashier in the grocery store and the mechanic who changes your oil;
  2. People also need to take more responsibility for their own actions. Is it really McDonald's fault that you spill hot coffee in your lap when you're driving? Is it really Walt Disney World's fault that your child was "traumatized" when he accidentally saw a Donald Duck character taking off his head? Let's stop trying to blame someone else for everything that goes wrong;
  3. I've probably mentioned this before, because this is something that I will voice an opinion about. Life is too complicated these days. There are too many choices in everything from radio stations to cereal to feminine protection. I end up standing in the grocery aisle searching up and down for the version of each product that I like. Sometimes, I get so overwhelmed that I just give up, my desire for the darn thing completely gone! I mean, besides regular Oreo cookies, there are Double Stuff, Vanilla, Uh-Oh's, mint, peanut butter, fudge, and let's not forget low fat and low carb! And all these products and services that were supposed to make life easier sometimes just make it more difficult. A particular case in point is the automated prescription re-order service at my pharmacy. The other day it took me seven minutes standing on the phone following robotic voice commands just to order one measly prescription;
  4. As a result of life's complicated-ness, we're a society that's always in a hurry, always rushing to the next appointment, activity, shopping center, or playdate. I've heard they make personal planners and PDA's geared to the elementary age child - now that's just wrong!
  5. Which brings me to my last, but not least, item - the "adult-izing" of children. I don't like seeing little girl's dressed like Brittany Spears, and wearing makeup at the age of 10. I worry about too many little boys who are zoned out for hours in front of violent TV shows and computer games. I pity children who are scheduled in organized activities every minute of their day, so they don't have time to just play. It's hard for parents to buck this system - if every one else's kid really is doing it, how can you say no without making a misfit of your own child?

There, that's my pennies worth for today! To read what other's have to say, go here.

13 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes

Well said!

7/29/2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

agreed :)

7/29/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Mais oui, mon ami! You've got your finger on the pulse of what's wrong with society. Great post!

7/30/2006  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i agree with you love - especially one and two x

7/30/2006  
Blogger gma said...

Becca....Very good post. I agree whole-heartedly.

7/30/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...especially with the last one. :)

7/30/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

You go Becca!!

7/30/2006  
Blogger TMTW said...

Ditto!

7/30/2006  
Blogger Madeleine said...

i agree wholeheartedly. the last ones speaks out to me.
yes i hate the way little GIRLS are playing at being women. the media and then peer pressure is such a strong influence at this age. but whay parents allow this?
i just don't understnad this.
and i agree that it's so important to be able to find that balance in your child's life, between encouraging them and taking an interest and just letting them be KIDS.
throw the playstaion in the bin, please!

7/30/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your two cents worth. All of them. Now could you please make them the law so that we could all live better lives?

7/31/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Amen to these! You found the exact words to explain the problems in todays society. Brava!

7/31/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I agree with each one of these. One of the regular conversations at work is about little girls being dressed like adults. No, make that cheap adults. I'm so tired of seeing butt cracks. What is wrong with parents? Sorry, I ranted.

7/31/2006  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

An absolute winner of a post, Becca! You really nailed several of them. To expand just one cent worth (I hope) on what Deirdre said, as a high school teacher, I too am totally sick of both butt cracks and cleavage. I have had beautiful teenage girls sitting in my class with such low cut tops that I feel embarassingly like I ought not teach to that row directly. And apparently most teens wear thong underwear and I have seen a shocking amount of it as I circulate around the classroom while they are leaning together doing group projects or sometimes just when they put their heads down to rest their eyes (euphemism) or even to read. I'd really love to see uniforms adopted for public high schools, but it will NEVER happen most places because "it would stifle their individuality."

7/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home