Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Goings On

This has been a Monday (on a Tuesday) kind of day. Having spent the past few days (including yesterday, the real Monday) at our home in Florida, there's always kind of a frantic catching up to do in order to re-enter normal life here in Michigan. I feel the need to clear my head, and this seems like the place to do it. So here what's been "going on":

  • First of all, I'm on borrowed time here because I left my laptop's power cord is on the floor under my desk in Florida! So I was forced to make an emergency call to my son, admit that I was stupid, and beg him to go to my house and mail it to me tomorrow - overnight pony express as fast as they can get it here no matter what it costs- mail!
  • In addition to that call, I had a long phone message on my answer machine from a co-worker who was bitterly complaining about a report she was working on and telling me that I (as "head of the department") was going to have to do something about it as soon as possible. GADS!! I hate it when I have to be the "in charge" person and actually talk to someone about something they've done wrong. I can hardly wait to go to work tomorrow!
  • I also had to run out and do emergency shopping because I had another message on my answer machine inviting me to a suprise birthday party tomorrow night for a good friend. The shopping was a little frantic, but the party will be a good time;
  • And as my mind veers toward the positive, I will note (happily!) that when I went to the gym just before I left for Florida last week, I got weighed and measured and had lost one of the several pesky inches I've been determined to ditch before the end of summer. I think I have blogging to thank for part of that, because all the time I spend reading and writing here has distracted me from snacking! Another benefit to being a blogger!
  • And speaking of blogs, if you're a regular visitor here, you may notice my masthead has been spiffed up quite nicely. That is thanks to my son, who is a professional webmaster, so sprucing up my little banner was an elementary exercise for him. However, this particular banner is meaningful to me for several reasons. When I was a very small girl, about 3 or 4 years old, I learned to type on a manual typewriter just like the one in the photo. We had an upstairs attic with an old desk right by a tiny window, and I can clearly remember sitting up there pounding away on those stiff little keys, typing up my own newspaper stories. For a long time (until I got distracted by music) being a journalist was my big dream, and throughout my youth I created lots of my own "newspapers", as well as writing for my school papers. So, this blog is just the latest edition in a long line of Becca's Bylines. Special thanks to my very creative son, who is also a mighty fine writer, for capturing just what I was looking for :)
  • Well, that's what's been happening. I'm behind on lots of thing here at home - laundry, mail, bills, practising, exercising, not to mention this week's haiku for One Deep Breath...oh my. Un oh - I think my battery is about to run out. Maybe I'll just go have a snack...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I did notice the gorgeous new banner. Your son did an incredible job! I love it. Looking forward to your haiku.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

It sounds like you had more than a Monday on Tuesday. You've had a whole week! I like your new banner, it's so polished looking.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Star said...

Great new banner! Your son gets an A+

Sounds like you'll have a busy week ahead of you. Hope you get connected with your power cord soon.

I'm off for a couple of days but will get back with you soon. I'm enjoying my mom's ethernet connection as opposed to my dial-up at home :-)

7/25/2006  
Blogger Bella said...

Great new banner. I love it.
Sounds like a Manic Monday!
;)

7/25/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I agree it's a great banner! Very talented son! Can I hire him to design something for me? (no kidding). I too learned to type on an old typewriter and get all nostalgic whenever I see one. Good for you for managing to lose an inch. I'm eating less these days, but getting less exercise in this heatwave. Sigh. How long can this last? Have fun at the party!

7/26/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

Your new banner looks great!

7/26/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Love the new look and welcome home :)

7/26/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home