Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-Holding Out For A Hero





I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life


I clicked over to SS today and as soon as I saw the prompt, this song popped into my head and just won't go away. It's an old Bonnie Tyler song, and I think it dates back to the 80's. And although it wasn't a real favorite of mine back then, it seems to be speaking to me today.

Fact is, I really need a hero these days, and I think this is the guy I'm looking for. You know the kind of guy I mean - a cross between Hercules and George Clooney - who would just ride in on his white horse, whisk away all my worries and cares, pamper and protect me, and send all those black-hatted bad guys off into the sunset. I can see him now, hot, sweaty, and fresh from the fight ~sigh.

Of course, this hero really is larger than life. But I think the reason I'm so fixated on this superman is that I've been trying to be my own hero for what seems like forever, and its making me tired and a little bit crazy. I want to hand over all life's worries - the health problems, the money concerns, the aging parents, the job woes - to someone strong and fast enough to fix them or make them go away.

But I kinda feel like I'm hanging out on top of that huge precipice, waiting for my hero to come along. I'll keep holding on...but he's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon.





10 Comments:

Blogger alphawoman said...

Loved this. The song immediatley put me back int he 80's watching MTV. Good luck with finding your hero. Remember, George is still available!

11/18/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

The 80's video was too funny ... what a flashback! I hope that hero is waiting in the wings of your life. Just was on your other site and started reading from top to bottom & was immediately sucked in and thought they were "real letters" you created. Of course, at some point I figured it out and went back to the beginning. Great job so far ... love the character development and 'voice' of the narrator. Absolutely awesome! Much peace, JP

11/18/2006  
Blogger Julie said...

I thought the very same thing when I saw the SS prompt! Of course, I didn't have that song going around and around in my head until I logged on to your blog...thanks.

Right there with you on George Clooney; there's a reason he's the sexiest man alive again (according to the soon-to-be-released People Magazine). Maybe he'd let you stay at his villa on Lake Como while you attend the TomKat nuptials this weekend ;-)

11/18/2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Becca. Loved this old 80s video. Did we REALLY wear our hair like that???? LOL Somethings never change I supposed. There will always be a primal need for white knights

11/18/2006  
Blogger Deb R said...

Aaaaah, flashback! That song was from the soundtrack to the movie "Footloose." I loved that movie and those songs.

Where does the Universe hide those hero types anyway?

11/18/2006  
Blogger January said...

Too funny! I really enjoyed reading your post. Of course, seeing Bonnie Tyler brought me back a few years.

11/18/2006  
Blogger TI said...

Thanks for posting the video. great piece too that lots of independent women who are "their own heroes" can relate too. We don't need rescuing -- we just need love and someone to share with. The new "bad-boy" James Bond is, well, quite the hero.

11/19/2006  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

It's so true! I would also like a fast, strong hero to come and clean my house and pay my bills. :) Let me know if you find one!

11/19/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I remember that song - and remember the television series when the hero was killed in a stunt? For 15 years as a single mom, I felt like what you wrote about - exhausted from having to be responsible for every single thing, wishing there were someone I could count on to help from time to time. When I met my husband I had someone to help, but it was hard to let go of that need to control - to realise that I didn't have to be responsible for every single thing. Not nearly enough heroes in the world - more often than not, we have to be heroic ourselves. Lovely post!

11/19/2006  
Blogger Darlene said...

Flashback....and a fun one at that...too bad there aren't that many around, but I'm sure there's one out there for you. :)

much love,
xoxo darlene

11/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home