Saturday, February 17, 2007

Outside the Comfort Zone

I've been thinking a lot about a lovely comment I received from my friend Star just the other day. Her comment was in reference to this post, and my son and daughter-in-law's trip to Thailand to spend six weeks visiting my daughter-in-law's family. Star wrote that she wished me "peace of mind while they were out my comfort zone." So comfort zones have been on my mind today, as I drove them to the airport, watching them set off on their journey.

When I first became a parent, almost 27 years ago, I had a very tiny comfort zone when it came to Brian. For many years he was rarely out of my sight. His only caregivers, other than Jim and I, were my parents. When he started school, I drove him there and picked him up every day. Occasionally, he slept over at a friend's house, and once or twice as a teenager he actually went away for the weekend with a couple of his buddies. He seemed quite content to remain within this circumspect sphere -until the day he met Nantana. Suddenly, he decided to break out of "the zone" in a big way, traveling on his own to meet her in Australia, becoming engaged at 19, then traveling to Thailand to meet her parents. Huge risks for a very shy and relatively sheltered young man. But he was determined, and brave, and it all worked out wonderfully well.

As you might imagine, all this activity outside the comfort zone was more than a little disconcerting for me. I was raised within a very restricted comfort zone. My parents, as much as I love them, had an extremely limited tolerance for any activity that might be unusual, possibly uncomfortable, or, god forbid, carry any aspect of danger. My marriage at the age of
20 was the first step outside the safe little box I had spent my life in so far. Even then, I married a young man I had known since the age of 13, and we moved into a house less than a mile away from my parents. Not much of a leap into danger, was it?

The narrowness of my comfort zone had a lot to do with my need to control life. I admit it, I'm a control freak of the highest order. Deep down I truly believe that nothing will be done correctly if I'm not the one doing it...that goes for child rearing, music making, cooking, cleaning, you name it. And of course, the perfectionism that accompanies the need to control means that I have to do everything or nothing will be perfect, and that is unacceptable.

My friend Pat first encouraged me to step outside the safe perimeters I built around my life. As I began following in her wake, traveling, performing, watching the way our students were following their dreams, I became more and more comfortable with taking those small risks that make life so exciting. I began traveling more, auditioned for musical groups, went out looking for a "real job" in the business world, and about a year ago started writing again. I learned that the process is sometimes more important (and enjoyable) than a perfect outcome.

My emotional comfort zones have changed as well during the past years. I am much less fearful of life in general, much less apt to become paralyzed with anxiety, much more likely to speak my mind if I disagree with someone. Because of the positive experiences I've had outside my comfort zone, confidence in my own abilites has increased, as has my satisfaction with myself as a person.

While my comfort zones are certainly wider than they were 15 years ago, they remain relatively circumspect. I would probably never sky dive, or bungee jump, or go on safari in Africa. I would, if given the opportunity, go ballroom dancing, spend a season in Paris, or take a race car driving course. However, I've learned to enjoy stepping outside of the areas in life that I know are safe for me, places where I know I can easily succeed, and foray into activities and attachments where I'm not so sure the outcome will be perfect.

I did wake up occasionally last night, thinking about my son and daughter-in-law flying somewhere over the China Sea on their 17 hour journey from Las Angeles to Bangkok. But rather than the fear and anxiety I might once have felt, my emotions were more reflective of this saying:

The teacher said to the students, "Come to the edge."
They replied, "We might fall."
The teacher said again, "Come to the edge."
And they responded, "It's too high."
"Come to the edge" the teacher demanded.
And they came, and the teacher pushed them, and they flew.
~Apollinaire Guillaume~

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, there is so much I could write about this. What I want to say most is that I feel like a "young" you. I see so many similarities between your past and my present. That's what I love most about you - the lessons I can learn and take away from you.
Stepping out of your comfort zone is no easy feat (I know!). I wish for you peace in your new choices and journeys.

2/17/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

We share that perfectionisitic streak, feeling that it is easier if we do things ourselves to get them done right rather than having to pick up the pieces and spend twice the time doing something that someone else does incorrectly.

HOWEVER, my comfort zones have been shifting just as yours have, and it is freeing. For me, it has been illuminating to discover over time that the confined spaces of my comfort zones have more to do with lack of trust in myself than fear of the unknown.

You can still put me down as a 'no' for the sky diving, bungee jumping and probably the African safari also. I'd probably love to watch you learning to drive a race car...from a safe distance ;-)

Put me down for an Alaskan cruise, traveling to France to see what insired Monet, and working with Habitat for Humanity.

2/17/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

That's one of my all-time favourite quotes. And moving outside one's comfort zone is necessary, in order to embrace change. It's not always easy, but it's usually rewarding, as you've discovered especially this year, with your writing. Lovely, thoughtful post, Becca. I'm sure Brian and Nantana will have a wonderful experience in Thailand - perhaps you'll go visit N's family there one day!

2/17/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I too like to control my enviornment and can be a perfectionist. These qualities don't work well when you become disabled. A perk of ALS is to not sweat the small stuff or you become a demanding pain. Kudos to breaking free!

2/17/2007  
Blogger Shaz said...

How proud you must be of your self and your son. This post was lovely and inspiring.

2/17/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I know that comfort zone so well. Learning that things don't have to be just-so, that I can relax into less than perfect and be okay - not that I don't try, or that my past attempts were something to cheer about, but that it's perfectly fine to be imperfect. It's a hard lesson, one that keeps us from trying new things and letting the people we love spread their own wings. You've written so beautifully, again, about a deep part of yourself. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

2/18/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/18/2007  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

I love the quote. It's one of my favorites ever!!!

2/20/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home