Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sunday Scribblings-Puzzles

My work life has been a bit of a merry-go-round lately and I'm rather puzzled about it. I've been juggling two part-time jobs for three years now, and it's getting more and more difficult to keep the balls in the air. My first conundrum involves whether to give up the part time position as choral accompanist at the high school in favor of working more hours at my office job, where there is an opportunity to take on more reponsbility. However, this in itself brings up another quandry ~ because these new responsibilities would require more time working in the office, while a lot of my current job can be completed from home, giving me the flexibility to travel to Florida on a semi-regular basis.

As I ponder this current life puzzle, I realize that weighing the pro's and con's of one situation or another is a bit like looking at a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle scattered on a table. Each aspect of a situation is like a diffently shaped piece, each potential choice we make an opportunity to put the puzzle together correctly~or not.

I love working with the high school students, but the pay is abysmal. Unfortunately, this job totally disproves the theory that "if you do what you love, the money will follow." Nope. Not this time. Of course there have been plenty of other rewards ~but, let's face it, personal and creative satisfaction don't pay the property tax on three houses. My office job is not terribly challenging, and it certainly doesn't get the creative juices flowing. I enjoy the people I work with, and it's a pleasant working environment most of the time. But the salary, while certainly not a fortune, is worlds better than my school job.

So, here I am, trying to fit these pieces into the puzzle that's my life right now, feeling a bit as if I'm forcing a piece with a round edge into a square opening. I'm really wishing that someone will come by and discover that a perfectly fitting piece has actually been hiding in the corner all along!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I'm trying to fit some pieces together right now too.

I have confidence that you will find the right pieces to fit together. Your heart knows the way.

2/24/2007  
Blogger Liza on Maui said...

Here's another wish that you'd find ways to fit the puzzles in your life right now...

2/25/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Becca, it does sound like a dilemma! Hope you solve it to your satisfaction. I would imagine working and being able to travel back and forth to Florida on a regular basis does present quite the challenge. Bonne chance et bonne courage!

2/25/2007  
Blogger Regina said...

These kinds of decisions are so hard to make... sometimes I'll just wait and see if the universe will make a decision for me... whatever the outcome, I hope it's what you truly wish for, Becca.

2/25/2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

You will make the right decision soon. Time makes us do that. All the pieces do fall into place.



gautami
Puzzled

2/25/2007  
Blogger rel said...

Becca,
Difficult choices to be sure. Listen carefully and you'll know the right path.
Expect happiness!
rel

2/25/2007  
Blogger megan said...

I have a hunch that: 1) you're right when you say there is another piece on the table that will fit the open space, and 2) you're probably the person who will come along & spy that perfect piece.

2/25/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Looks for signs because the universe always sends me sign if I look for them. It could be that piece that fell under your chair ;)
Good luck! XXOO

2/25/2007  
Blogger Jone said...

Isn't it sat that working with students, doing what you love pays so horridly? I am toward the end of my teaching careet. We are losing good teachers because of pay. Loved your piece. Have faith, the answer will be revealed.

2/26/2007  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

"I'm forcing a piece with a round edge into a square opening." That's sure a familiar feeling! Hope you find that hidden piece soon.
I am new to blogging and just discovered Sunday Scribblings - hope to participate soon.

3/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home