Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What a Difference A Week Makes

Last week at this time, I was going totally crazy. I felt dangerously stressed out, more so than I can ever remember.

Today, I came home from work early, did a little laundry, relaxed with a cup of Zen tea, and watched a marvelous thunderstorm from the safety of my big green living room chair. I read some wonderful haiku (on the subject of nurturing, no less!), wrote my post for tomorrow (Write on Wednesday is back!), and actually made dinner myself (pork tenderloin "Diane" with wild rice and steamed baby carrots -it smells yummy!)

So, what's the big difference?? I have nothing in my musical agenda this week. No concerts, no rehearsals, no performances scheduled (until May 25, that is).

It's clear where the source of my stress seems to lie.

Why is it, though, that the thing I love doing most in the world causes me so much angst???

It all comes down to another four letter word, the word that appears here on the Byline, and in my morning pages, over and over again.

TIME.

Sigh.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing in the world stressed me out more; not even having a house full of kids and their friends stressed me as much as having to perform music live. I envy you being able to do it regularly. I had to give up; it wasn't worth it to me.

5/15/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I have yielded to this same discovery. There are things that sound fun that I would like to do, but when my husband wants to spend time together, I just let go of the rest and take advantage of that luxury. If I live to be a ripe old age, I cannot imagine looking back and wishing I'd made that rhubarb dessert to take to work rather than spending quality time with my husband back in May of 2007. There will be time for the rest of it on another day.

I'm so glad to hear you sounding more relaxed in this post and look forward, as always, to Write on Wednesday. :D

5/15/2007  
Blogger Shaz said...

I am glad you are feeling a little more relaxed Honey. There is nothing worse then stress. Take care of you.

5/16/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes, time or the lack of it can create so much stress. I feel like I can never catch up with everything I'm supposed to have done - and many of these goals/deadlines are self-imposed. Am glad you're having some well-deserved "down time."

5/16/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Sounds like a perfectly delightful afternoon. Even with the laundry. Sounds like you're very ready for a break from the hectic rush to fit it all in. I hope you'll be able to find a way to balance the things you love with the less nurturing parts of life.

5/17/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home