Monday, September 24, 2007

Encyclopedia of Me Monday: G is for...

In all honesty, I'm not very goal oriented. I do alright with the minor goals - like getting the laundry done, learning my music for a concert, and finishing my work on time. But I'm not very good at setting those major life goals. In the "olden days" when I was growing up, there wasn't so much emphasis on goal setting and life planning. You just did what you were supposed to do...finish school, go to work, raise your family, live your life. Not even any of that "live your best life" stuff. Just get it done.

Sometimes I'd like to be more of a goal setter, but it seems that every time I stick a toe in the goal setting water, life (and/or world events) get in the way, putting a monkey wrench in my carefully (and I mean, carefully!) laid plans. A few years ago, we set a goal for Jim to "semi-retire" at age 55, and we would move to Florida. With that in mind, we purchased a home, and then another home in Florida, hoping to use the equity from a booming real estate market to stake our retirement dreams. Well, I'm sure most of you know what's happened to the real estate market during that time~it's gone down the tubes, taking our retirement dreams with it.

"Set another goal!" life planners would advise. "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

Admittedly, I'm a bit gun shy about goal setting. Personally, some of the best things that have happened in my life were unplanned - getting married was actually never on my list of things to do-until I met Jim, that is. Having children - we had no plans for that either, but God thought otherwise, and thank goodness He did!

So perhaps I'll just continue on relatively goal-less. With the exception, of course, of making the most of every day, enjoying my friends and family as much as possible, and doing what I can to make the world a little bit better place.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger jzr said...

They say, "life is what happens when you're busy making plans." So much for goals!! We need to dream of course but that hint about making lemonade is priceless in most lives!!

9/24/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goals are nice to have but it is also cool to watch what unfolds without planning.

9/24/2007  
Blogger Bibi said...

I think your goals (last paragraph) of the highest value. And I echo John Lennon's words quoted in JZR's comments ... life is what happens. I sometimes have been too goal oriented and have learned over the past few years to go with the flow a little more.

9/24/2007  
Blogger Bibi said...

... I missed out an 'are' in my first sentence! Your goals are of the highest value...

9/24/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I could have written this!!!!! I'm visualizing my goal but it's like looking through stained glass. I just keep seeing it until I'm there. XXOO

In the mean time life must go on!

9/26/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home