Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Clean Slate-2008

Today, of course, is the traditional Day of Resolution- promises we make to ourselves, things we aim to do in the coming year. It's hard to resist the allure of all those blank calendar pages, those 365 empty squares waiting expectantly to be filled. They represent a fresh start, an opportunity to be reborn, to live life differently.

I've had my fill of resolutions though - they always disappoint me. Or, more precisely, I always disappoint myself with my inability to keep them. Were I to make resolutions today (which I'm not mind you, I'm just saying...) they would likely include things like this~

*Be healthier~I feel stagnant in my body, in a way that I haven't experienced for a long time. I crave more movement, more walking, stretching, dancing. I crave eating less food, and eating better quality food, meaning I'll be jumping on the organic band wagon. I may declare a vegetarian day once each week (the meat and potato lover in my house will have to live with it, or go out to eat!) I feel the need to take better care of this physical plant I'm living in.

*Make better use of my time ~author Laraine Herring, in her book Writing Begins with the Breath, wrote this : "Despite all our time-saving devices, many of us feel like we have less time than ever before. That's not true. We have the same time as we've always had. It's our perception of that time that has gotten off balance. We haven't shortened the day or the hour; we have increased what we're filling that time with, and for many of us, what we fill our hours with are distractions from the very thing we say we want more of - a present moment." She advises, "re-evaluate your relationship to time." Be aware of the way you spend your time, and fill the hours "consciously." As this year progresses, I hope to become more conscious of the fruitful, fulfilling ways I spend time, thus appreciating the things I do accomplish. Conversely, this means less dwelling on all the things I didn't get done, an activity I engage in far too often.

In 2008 I would like to forge a deeper connection with the people I love, engage my creative spirit in new ways, and enhance my abilities in the creative pursuits I already practice.

Not resolutions, really, just my hopes and dreams for all those brand new days ahead.

~Wishing you godspeed in this New Year, and may all your hopes and dreams become realities!~

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I love the quote about time. I'll be writing that down to remember!

1/01/2008  
Blogger jzr said...

I also love that quote. I've always battled with the clock. It's time to put down the weapons and just use it!! And yeah, resolutions are awful ... but "intentions" are really good!!

1/01/2008  
Blogger Jams said...

The new year is very nearly my favorite holiday. I always feel hopeful on New Year's Day. All possibilities seem...well...possible. I'm there with you on the healthy choices. I hope you realize all of your hopes and dreams this year.

1/01/2008  
Blogger Michele said...

Great New Year's post, Becca! I dropped by to see what inspirational words you would share with us today, but also to let you know I gave you a little link love in my own New Year's post. :-)

Happy New Years!
Michele

1/01/2008  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

May the time be filled with the spirit of your inspiration. Peace & many, many blessings to you on this new year. xx, JP/deb

1/01/2008  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I hope all of this does become reality for you in 2008. I love the way you reject "resolutions" (How can we feel good about something that requires "resolve"?) in favour of this statement.
Good luck to you, and every blessing in 2008

1/02/2008  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Wishing you good health and inspiration in abundance!

1/03/2008  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Happy New Year and may you reach your goals in 2008. Huurah!

1/03/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home