Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Writer's Island - My Imaginary Life

The older I get, the less I imagine what life could be like. Writing those words, I feel a little uneasy. Because although my real life is just fine, perhaps I shouldn't be content to settle for "fine" ~perhaps I should be reaching toward some far more fulfilling and creative life, setting my sights on the stars, like I did when I was a teenager.

Just recently, events have occurred that should have drawn me up short, should have sent warning bells resounding in my ears about the finite nature of my time on this world. Events that, by rights, should spur me into a frenzy of action to accomplish all the things I want/need/hope to do. You know all the sayings - life is short, here today, gone tomorrow, make hay while the sun shines. I should be busy pulling out all the stops to make my imaginary life a reality, now, while I still have the time.

Then again, why should I be presumptuous enough to even imagine a better life than the one I have? After all, I have a loving and healthy family, a safe home, plenty of food and water, cars and clothes, and luxuries far beyond what most of the worlds population could ever imagine. What right have I to yearn for more than this?

Ahh, but its human nature to want more than we have, isn't it? Human of us to expect the world, to see the ever greener grass, to dream ever more fabulous dreams.

So, enough prevaricating. Here goes:

In my imaginary life, I always see myself living in an old, historic home out in the country, a home near enough to water that I can walk my dogs through the woods each day and listen to the sound of a babbling brook talking in my ear. I'm surrounded by books and music in this house, and I have plenty of time to indulge my love of words and notes each day. I will write - novels perhaps, or memoirs, even biographies. I will play - a chamber group, of friends and musicians, well known and very popular in the community and surrounding towns.
In this imaginary life, my family is all nearby, so I can see them whenever I want - in fact, they come in and out of the house at will, my grandchildren bringing me handfuls of flowers plucked right from my own garden. I see myself wandering the woods in well worn jeans and soft sweaters, coming in from walks to hot coffee in the winter and mint-sprigged iced tea in the summer. I picture Jim and I sitting on our porch at night, watching the fireflies twinkle over the meadow, sipping wine as the sun goes down.

It's not a fancy imaginary life, is it? And, in fact, after all these rambling thoughts, I have come round to describing a life that's not really all that diverse from the life I have right now. Does this signify a lack of imagination on my part? Does this mean I don't dare to dream?

Probably not. It may be that I've simply already forged a good life into existence. Rather than spending time imagining something different, I would do well to enjoy and enhance all the good things about the life I already have.


~to read about others imaginary lives, visit Writer's Island

Labels:

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is human nature to want more. WE crave for more. We live in hopes, dreams and desires.

Keep writing, keep telling us more..

9/11/2007  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Hi, Becca! You arrived at my blog when my post was so fresh it was probably still settling into place! Yes. We could be neighbours in our imaginary lives. I'd love to pop over and meet those grandchildren and hear you play some music, and share whatever writing we've been doing.

9/11/2007  
Blogger jzr said...

Right on Becca and Write on as well! Sounds like a great life to me. I noticed you used the word "time" alot. I think we would all feel very rich with more Time!!

9/11/2007  
Blogger Regina said...

It does sound lovely and not imaginary at all! I think sometimes we think an imaginary life is out of reach but really, when we take a look, it's been there all the time, right in front of our noses!
A wonderful post!
xo

9/11/2007  
Blogger Cherie said...

Yay, a girl after my own heart, we have it, aren't we blessed?

9/11/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It does sound very much like the lovely life you've already created for yourself, with a few tweaks here and there. I like the bit about grandchildren wandering in and out - hope that happens someday for me too.

9/11/2007  
Blogger Lea said...

... and through your imagination I walked, right into the life you are loving, right now. Thank you Becca!

9/11/2007  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I'm learning, I think, to believe that each stage is perfect and that imagination urges the next phase forward. The babbling brook, long walks, books and fireflies. Nice!

9/11/2007  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Beautiful images...sometimes simplicity is the perfect dream.
Love,
D.

9/11/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You can have this imaginary life or at least most of it. You have been very blessed so we need to find you a brook that babbles. :)

HUGS

9/11/2007  
Blogger rel said...

Becca,
A story well worth living. And advice well worth heeding; "I would do well to enjoy and enhance all the good things about the life I already have." ;-)
rel

9/11/2007  
Blogger Cassiopeia Rises said...

Nice day-dream and well written. I think we all look over the fence to see if the grass is really any greener. Oh, did I just say that????
I too dream of lives I might have lived but am stuck with what God has given me and I thank him for my many blessings. Well spoken.

love-bd

9/11/2007  
Blogger Gill said...

Becca,
You are right.
To imagine more would be to imagine more of what you already have. It seems to me that your efforts in imaginative creating have already manifested for you the life of your dreams.
Keep up the good work! At least you are enjoying what you have been given. Gratitude is everything.
xo
Blue

9/11/2007  
Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful, Becca, I track with your thoughts and appreciate how you expressed them. Truly lovely.

9/11/2007  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

Well put, Becca. I'm also striving for that: Live the real deal now! And for the record, a simple life is where it's at, isn't it? :)

9/11/2007  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I love your imaginary life. I want to be you!

9/11/2007  
Blogger Jo said...

I like the sound of both lives. Nicely put!

9/12/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

"to enjoy and enhance all the good things about the life I already have" -- yes, that is the thing.

9/12/2007  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9/12/2007  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Becca -

Really enjoyed this... imagining a life that is different is quite likely to make us appreciate exactly what we have. Wonderful insight.

So glad you're on the island... ;)

9/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home