Monday, July 31, 2006

One Deep Breath - Garden


One of my favorite gardens is the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park. We visited San Franciso in 2001, and were city weary and slightly stressed after several days of sightseeing downtown. We took the long bus ride out to the Park and spent a lovely afternoon wandering the quiet, cool gardens. It was an oasis of peace in our holiday.

In Japanese culture, a garden is considered one of the highest art forms, expressing in a limited space the essence of nature through the use of specially selected plants and stones. Japanese legend attests that stones are actual beings with spirits that need to be treated with reverence.

Tranquility brews
like steeping green leaves-
Japanese tea garden

Stone pathways
disguise living spirits
leading to higher ground

Pagoda rises
beckoning amidst greenery
paying homage to Buddha

Serene pathways
guide travelers toward peace
our souls breathe deeply

For more garden haiku, go here

13 Comments:

Blogger claireylove said...

So elegant that these haiku seem utterly effortless in their beauty. I love *souls breath deeply*.

7/31/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

I'm there ... totally relaxed ....enjoying!

7/31/2006  
Blogger Star said...

Love the picture and my favorite haiku is the last one.

Japanese gardens are so serene. We visited one in Dallas/Fort Worth and the textures and many different plants used were truly breathtaking.

7/31/2006  
Blogger Madeleine said...

wow it's like breathing a sigh of relief when i read these, Becca.
i feel the tranquility and peace. they're great.
i have to second BB and say i love the line "souls breath deeply'

mmm

(i think i might take mine down now)

7/31/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

These haiku are so soothing. Thank you. Have you read The Samurai's Garden? It's a gorgeous novel.

7/31/2006  
Blogger Bella said...

Becca, how refreshing to read these haikus. When I think of gardens, the Japanese never enter my mind. Thank you for sharing such beautiful words and a new insight for me.

7/31/2006  
Blogger Kim said...

These are exquisite and I love the idea of rocks having spirits - beautiful!

7/31/2006  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photo and haiku - reminds me of my visit to that very same tea garden many years ago! Thanks for reminding me of a lovely day and thanks for sharing your images too!

8/01/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Your stunning haiku are all so evocative of the beauty of the Japanese Tea Garden. How I miss it and San Francisco!

8/01/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That first haiku made me take a deep breath...perfection! They were all terrific...WOWSIE GIRL!

8/01/2006  
Blogger Madeleine said...

p.s.just had just say how much i like your new banner, i forgot to mention it the other day!

8/02/2006  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

I love that garden! I used to go there every Sunday with my dad...good memories!

Your haiku are beautiful as well.

8/02/2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

these are refreshing and beautiful, thanks for sharing them

8/02/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home