Thursday, August 31, 2006

Poetry Thursday-Poem In My Pocket

my backyard, early this morning
Why I Wake Early
~Mary Oliver~
Hello, sun in my face
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety-
best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light-
good morning, good morning, good morning.
Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

Written neatly on a piece of pretty paper and folded gently in half just once, this poem has been tucked inside my wallet all week, serving as instruction, prayer, and benediction all in one. I know I've posted this poem before, but it's one that always comforts me and sends me onward into life with a renewed spirit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

This is my first reading of the day. How nice. And we don't have our usual summer morning fog today, just lots of sun. :)

8/31/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It is a comforting poem - thanks for sharing how special it is to you.

8/31/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Mary Oliver has a gift and I'm glad she comforts and renews your spirit. She definitely toots my horn :)

8/31/2006  
Blogger kelly rae said...

i love mary oliver. she is briliant. thanks for sharing.

8/31/2006  
Blogger Star said...

"Written neatly on a piece of pretty paper and folded gently in half just once..." These words tell me more about how important this piece is to you than what came after.

What a beautiful view to greet you at the beginning of each day.

8/31/2006  
Blogger M said...

I do love Mary Oliver, she seems to be popping up everywhere this week!
We so have the same taste in books, from what you were saying about The Whole World Over and seeing you are reading more Jodi Picoult (whom I love!) and Joanne Harris (one of my favs, Gentlemen and Players is great!!). I can't wait to see what else you recommend!

8/31/2006  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

So glad you posted this one again, Becca and I love your description of carrying it around even more than the poem itself!

8/31/2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Mary Oliver is one of my favourites. This is a lovely example of her work

8/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home