Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Day Like This

There are some fall days that are just amazingly beautiful - clear blue sky, cool refreshing breeze, colorful leaves adorning the trees everywhere - days like this:



Unfortunately, today isn't one of those days. Today is a day like this:


Cold, damp, dreary, rainy...and our furnace is on the blink. SO -I made myself a big pot of my favorite soup* and tucked in to a hearty bowlful.

Now, I'm all set to curl up in my favorite chair, wrap up in a warm, cuddly blanket, and indulge myself in some of my favorite things to do on a day like this ~



Of course, it probably won't be long before I join these two ~
And, actually, that's a pretty good way to spend a day like this!

*Paradise Steak Soup (courtesy of the Paradise Grill in Branson, MO)
Brown 1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey) in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.
Add 2 cups diced onions, 1 cup each diced carrots and celery, and 1 tablespoon minced garlic; cook 10 to 12 minutes until vegetables are softened;
Add 3 cans (13-14 oz. each) chicken broth, 1 can (16 oz) crushed tomatoes, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes;
Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup of butter or margarine in a small saucepan; stir in 1/2 cup flour. Cook over medium high heat, stirring until deep brown. Whisk into soup. Cover and simmer 15 minutes more.
Makes 11 cups.
Serve with hot crusty bread and a crisp salad for a tasty meal that warms both tummy and heart!



Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Sounds great if it were not for the 90 degree temperatures here. The leaves have not even turned...sigh. I copied the recipe and will use soon, I hope!

Enjoy!

9/30/2006  
Blogger Julie said...

Sounds like a great day to cocoon. Rest, relax and enjoy some time just for you.

9/30/2006  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Days like this are my favorite, to be safe inside having time to indulge in the things I enjoy! What darling little doggies!!

10/01/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

Those pups of yours are sooooo adorable. And your soup recipe sounds great. Will try it. I love making soup and in the winter and fall I prepare some at least once a week!

10/01/2006  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

First, I love the expose with photos to illustrate...it's like reading your diary only better!

Second, THANK YOU for the recipe! I will make it for dinner tomorrow night...NO SCHOOL tomorrow...wooppee!
Hope you have the day off as well :-)

10/01/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home