Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sunday Scribblings-Google Magic

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."
--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Rebecca

1) From the Hebrew name רִבְקָה (Rivqah), possibly meaning "a snare" or "a noose" in Hebrew, or perhaps derived from an Aramaic name. This was the name of the wife of Isaac and the mother of Esau and Jacob in the Old Testament;
2)Rebecca is the English form of a Hebrew name, Rebekah. Until the 17th century, Rebecca was almost exclusively a Jewish name. After the Reformation, however, it became one of many Old Testament names adopted by Protestants. Rebecca was especially popular with the Puritans. It was revived in the late 20th century. In 1900-1910, it was 161st most popular baby name in the US. In 2003, it was the 64th most popular.

I've always been really interested in names. When I hear news of a birth, the first question I'm likely to ask is, "What did they name her (or him)?" After all, your name is the one thing about yourself that probably will never change - unlike your skin, hair color, and certainly height and weight, your name isn't affected by the ravages of time. So, unless you take the time and trouble to change it legally, it's yours intact from birth to death.

When I was a kid back in the 60's I was the only girl named Rebecca in my entire school. I liked that actually. I was never a child who felt compelled to be like everyone else, so I was secretly proud of the fact that I wasn't one of the three of four Kathy's or Debbie's or Linda's that always seemed to be in my classes. I did go through a phase of spelling Becky with an "i" on the end (I know, really stupid), but that didn't last long.

I've also always liked the fact that Rebecca is a Hebrew name, particularly since I discovered that some of my earliest ancestors here in America were actually Jews from Germany, who arrived here in the mid 1700's and settled in the area that is now Pennsylavania. However, I'm not fond of the Hebrew etymology. A "snare," or "noose"? Not a very attractive image to fulfill. Modern baby name books use the word "captivating" as the meaning, which is certainly much more appealing.

I remember asking my mother why she chose this particular name, since it was rather unusual in the mid-1950's when I was born. And she said just what I would expect her to say - that she wanted my name to be special and unique, because that was the kind of person she wanted me to be. (On the rare occasions when I did complain about not having or doing something that "everyone else was doing," my mother always gave me a withering look and asked pointedly, "Do you really want to be like everyone else?" Grudgingly, I had to admit that I really didn't.) So, perhaps it was partly because of my "special and unique" name that I've always been quite comfortable in my own skin, even when I don't blend in with the crowd.

How about you? What's in your name?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Great post, Becca! My younger sister's first name is Rebecca, but we call her by her second name. Tara is of Irish Gaelic origin, meaning "Rocky Pinnacle; excellent worth." It was the name of the hill where all the kings in Ireland were crowned. And in the Sanskrit, Tara means "star." But of course it gained fame in America from "Gone with the Wind," as the name of the O'Hara plantation.

9/16/2006  
Blogger TMTW said...

I really enjoyed your post!

9/16/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

What a great idea! Mine is after Debbie Reynolds in "Tammy and The Bachelor."

9/16/2006  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

lovely post! clearly great minds do think alike as i was thinkng of doing the same :-) one of the characters in my book shares your name ... x

9/17/2006  
Blogger Kayt said...

great post - I love to hear about people's names :)

9/17/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I'm all about unique names. Mine is Tylene from an Elvis Presley movie. I've gone by whole life without ever meeting someone with my name. I must admit I like being the only Tylene. Thanks for sharing!

9/17/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, this was great. I loved reading it. I think you and I could have been great childhood friends. We were very similar growing up.

9/18/2006  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Rebecca has always been one of my favorite names, and probably one I would have chosen for myself. I love that your mother knew you'd be special.

I was the only Deirdre growing up - an unpronouncable name for most people. And I hated it until about 15 years ago when I finally got over the meaning, sorrow. That gave me a little complex during my Emily Dickinson and Neil Young years.

9/18/2006  
Blogger claireylove said...

I've always loved the name Rebecca - you've got a good one there ;-)

For me, writing as bb/bibi makes me 'toy or bubbles' whereas my given name of Claire is 'bright, illustrious, shining'. noble enough but it was a very popular name here in Britain when i was growing up and i hated being one of the crowd :-(

had to laugh at what your Mom used to say about you not wanting be one of the crowd - i always use that line on my eldest - and mean it :-)

9/18/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home