Monday, September 4, 2006

One Deep Breath - Solitude


Alone and serene
revelling in solitude
my spirit set free

My thoughts turn inward
searching mind, heart, and soul
awareness arrives

True understanding
life's mysteries revealed
alone, not lonely



Although most dictionary definitions for solitude have negative connotations, I've often had wonderful experiences being alone. It's a time when I'm free from all the pressures and demands of the world and it's people and focus on my own thoughts and feelings.

A favorite place to savor my solitude is in walks by the ocean. The eternal rhythm of the waves, the warm sun on my face, and the salty wind in my hair, relax my body and energize my spirit.

You will find more thoughts about solitude here

12 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I also have a "walk by the ocean" haiku this week. I agree with you, it is a wonderful place to be alone.

9/04/2006  
Blogger Ian russell said...

people who write dictionaries just don't get it. ;o)

wonderful thoughts, becca - excellent haiku!

9/05/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Your haiku are beautiful, perfectly evoking the emotions and blessings of solitude. Excellent work, Becca!

9/05/2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

just lovely, solitude can be such a good thing. Love walks by the ocean too.

9/05/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're becoming quite regular about multiple haiku! Such beautiful words.

I agree that solitude gets a bum rap with the negative connotations. I can multitask with the best of them, but I need time to myself to really work through some things. Oh for a beach like yours to think those solitary thoughts...

9/05/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I LOVE alone time :) These were all great and showed the beauty of solitude. Loved them!

9/05/2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

i like all the haikus, but I especially love the second one.

9/05/2006  
Blogger Helen said...

Beautifully written. I love your picture too! I agree with what everyone else says. :)

9/05/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becca - I especially like the second haiku - nice work! I tried to post this yesterday, but Blogger was being stubborn, so I'm glad it's working today. Thanks for your kind comment in my blog, too.

9/06/2006  
Blogger Endment said...

Great job - especially "alone, not lonely"

9/06/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice haiku. We seem to draw our energy from our favorite places.

9/06/2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

I found myself also thinking about the connotations behind the word solitude. I actually find it a very comforting word. Solitude to me is a soulful time.
The word 'alone' has more negative connotations to me.
But not solitude - that is a peaceful word for me.
Your haiku described wonderfully the joy of solitude and it also showed that 'alone' is also not a negative word if you don't want it to be.
JTL
xxx

9/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home