Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Random Thoughts of Thanksgiving


Invited by Bug and further inspired by January (and also because The Novel is Going Nowhere tonight), here are my random thoughts on thankfulness:

~“The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” - John E. Southard.

This quote, borrowed from here, came with a challenge to list people in your life who have helped you along the way, those who have encouraged, inspired, comforted, and supported you along life's journey. As I think back throughout my life, there are so many of those, family and friend alike. And just in the past few months, I have made many new, and inspiring friends through this blogging adventure. I name them and thank them in my heart...namaste~

~I am also thankful for the way my writing practice has inspired me. It has enabled me to become more aware and attuned to life and the world around me...the blue of the sky, the vibrant colors of fall, the family of swans I pass each day in the pond on my way to work. I stop, savor, and look at these things more intensely now~

~I'm thankful for the gift of music, and being able to share these next few weeks with my friend who is about to retire after teaching young people for the past 18 years. Such a big change lies ahead for her, and I'm honored to have shared her journey with her. I'm so thankful for the many wonderful young men and women I have met and come to love in my work with her~

~On a more practical note, I'm thankful that I have four days away from my office. It's been an extremely stressful place for the past few days, although I feel I've grown a lot in my abilities and in my relationships with co-workers. As usual, there is sweet with the bitter in life and in work~

~I am eternally thankful for the health and well being of my children, who have recently come through a stressful time and have made some difficult decisions about their own future. As always, they make me proud, and inspire me with their ability to chart their own course~

~I wish all of you many blessings of the day...may you enjoy and savor it, whatever you do...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Susannah Conway said...

have a wonderful day, sweet B. this is a glorious list of thanks :-) xo

11/23/2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I love the gratitude that this day reminds us of ... Happy Thanksgiving dear Becca, JP

11/23/2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You have been a beautiful blessing to me. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Becca!

11/23/2006  
Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Bless you, too. Have a wonderful day. Thanks for prompting me to think a bit this morning :)

11/23/2006  
Blogger Julie said...

I give thanks for you as well. You've helped me focus inward and branch outward. Enjoy your day!

11/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving, my friend!

11/23/2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful post, Becca, full of joy - like you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. xo

11/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca! What a beautiful post. I hope your day was wonderful.

11/23/2006  
Blogger angela said...

Hi,
I've come here to visit from Deboarah's blog.
You have some interesting things to say and I agree it's good to list all we have to be thankful for. I sometimes complain about my problems but other people have harder burdens to carry. An excellent reminder,
Angela

11/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a veteran of Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq...over these last few months...I've wondered to myself, "Is it possible to reduce the amount of hatred and violence in our world?"

Last week, before going to sleep, I began asking myself a lot of WHAT IF questions.

The central theme behind my thoughts are neither anti-war or pro-religion. My words are not meant to inspire scenes of flag-burning or political protest signs. Sadly, I realize that sometimes a lasting Peace means war.

However, unless someone and everyone start talking about the idea of Peace...

Even if it's just for two short minutes...

It's possible that an unstoppable firestorm of hatred may one day burn its way across our entire planet.

Instead of pointing out those differences which separate mankind...

It's my hope that the humanity within all of us will somehow prevail...

Even if it's JUST FOR TWO SHORT MINUTES...

See link: http://just-one-day-of-peace.blogspot.com/

If you write a passage about what the PEACE means to you, I'll build a simple BLOG page featuring your words and original images…

11/30/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home