Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sunday Scribblings-Deepest and Darkest

"Deepest and darkest" is a phrase that just begs to be ended with "secret" or "fear." Somehow, I'm not in the mood to talk about either one of those right now, although I admit to having my fair share of both. Instead, I'm choosing to reflect on some of my "deepest and darkest" passions...much more uplifting don't you think?
  • Rich, dark roast coffee, freshly brewed and steaming hot (you all knew that would be on the top of the list, right?)
  • Running a close second~you guessed it~dark, bittersweet chocolate, which tastes even better when you're sipping passion number one along with it. Truthfully, one of my favorite ways to enjoy chocolate is to eat those little chips you put in cookies right out of the bag. Hmmm, guess I just shared one of my little dark secrets after all...
  • I love the color black. I love to wear black (which is lucky, since it's the musician's uniform color), and nearly every car I've ever owned has been black. Although, I'm due for a new car soon, and I think it's going to be red this time (aha! another secret is out!)...
  • I'm fascinated with novels and movies about mental institutions and deep, dark, psychological illness. The old TV miniseries Sybil, with Sally Field in the starring role, is one of my all time favorite spine tingling pleasures. I have this odd little penchant for the macabre that is completely at odds with my outwardly sunny disposition...
  • No list of passions would be complete without at least a hint of the carnal, now would it? So, I admit, when it comes to the opposite sex, my taste in men runs to tall, dark, and deeply romantic. I adore the actor Jimmy Smits~as Victor Sifuentes on LA Law, Bobby Simone on NYPD Blue, and most recently, as Matt Santos on West Wing. Yes, my heart does flutter a bit just thinking about him :)

So much for my deepest and darkest...for more on this subject, go here

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

When I saw deep and dark I immediately thought of chocolate. Like you, my mind doesn't want to venture down the other road right now.

Jimmy Smits, huh? You're full of surprises :D

3/31/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto on the best coffee and chocolate and I love the chips too...except if I eat them straight out of the bag I eat too many. I drive a black vehicle too!

3/31/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have excellent taste...but then, I knew you would.

And Jimmy Smits IS hot!

3/31/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw this week's topic, my first thought was...NO WAY! But having read your inspirational take on this, I'm rethinking how this can be approached.
I remember reading Sybil a few times in HS and didn't know there was ever a series!
Jimmy Smits, huh? Now that is interesting....however, I must admit that for the first time EVER I am a bit disappointed in your post....when I clicked to see Hot Jimmy...I got Sally Fields (such a let-down...lol...but not to worry...while on the site, I looked up Johnny Depp...mmmmmm)

4/01/2007  
Blogger Becca said...

Susan: You may click on Jimmy now and see him in all his glory (well, not quite all of it...)

4/01/2007  
Blogger Jone said...

Oh Becca, I have the coffee and dark chocolate on my list as well. I love wearing black...and would also agree on Smits. Glad someone else was thinking about deepest, darkest in a positive way.

4/01/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

wearing black, eating dark chocolate with a tall dark man at my side. Sounds good!

4/01/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOL I really loved you sharing your passions Becca. This is a side I've never seen. Jimmy Smits on the WW was so hot! My kid's are 1/2 mexican but sadly not his. ;) xxoo

4/01/2007  
Blogger Regina said...

Hee hee- nice list, Becca!

4/01/2007  
Blogger rel said...

Becca,
A delectable post. I'll have to add, for me, deep, dark red, velvety smooth merlot, and a dark haired woman (like Penelope Cruz;-) )
rel

4/01/2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Guilty pleasure post.

4/01/2007  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Coffee! Dark Chocolate! Psychological thrillers! I bet we read the same books.

4/01/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Excellent, Becca!! I share some of the same deepest & darkest pleasures. Love that you turned this prompt into something positive. Much peace & love, JP

4/01/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I see that our lists are quite similar. Except the last one. ;0

4/02/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmn...dark chocolate chips straight from the bag...definitely one of my (not-so) secret passions too! and coffee and black also rate highly for me. I'd never heard of Jimmy Smits though (have now mended the error of my ways by googling him!)

4/02/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, this list is awesome. I love learning these little things about you. I feel like your long lost sister/daughter/best friend. We are too much alike!
Have you read "Veronika Decides to Die" by Pablo Coelho? If you haven't, I think you would love it.

4/02/2007  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

I love how this led you to share secrets even when you didn't want to! :)

4/02/2007  
Blogger Darlene said...

How about

drinking black chocolate coffee while eatting chips and reading a good novel? I'm up for that :)

sending you oxxo, b :)
darlene

4/02/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I like your take on the prompt. It's the first I've read after writing and posting mine - and boy, do I need the lighter side of dark and deep right now. Thank you. And Jimmy Smits - mmmm.

4/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home