Monday, September 24, 2007

Writer's Island-The Key

"What key are we in?" the musician will ask, inquiring about the tonality of the piece of music she's preparing to play. For singers, the key is vital, because it will determine whether the notes are too high or too low for the voice to produce. As a pianist, I'm also interested in key - music in certain keys has more "accidentals" than others, notes that have to be changed from the normal progression.

Most musicians have their "favorite keys." Personally, I like the major flat keys, especially D flat. My fingers seem to naturally fit into that five flat pattern, and the tonality is especially pleasing to me, rich and full, with just a hint of melancholy.

Of course, it's not difficult to see the corollary between life in general and a musician's relationship with key. We all have certain patterns that best fit our moods, our inclinations, our desires. For some, life in C major, the simplest, most efficient of all keys, is perfect. While others thrive on life in g-sharp minor, with every key an accidental at least once (and don't even ask me to explain double-sharping!)

Not surprisingly, I prefer my life to be similar to my favorite key. D flat major falls just slightly above "easy", and is slipping toward challenging on the scale. Tonally, it's pleasant, yet interesting, evocative yet accessible. And, as Goldilocks would say, it fits me "just right."

Perhaps the key to happiness then, is identifying that "just right" tonality for your life. Naturally it's fun to experiment with other keys once in a while. I've gotten great satisfaction from mastering a piece in the key of C flat major, even though my brain felt like it was solving one long algebraic equation the entire time I was playing it!

But I'm always happiest when I return to the "tonic" - home base, in musical terms. After spending the day meandering through life, like a jazz pianist will wander from key to key, following some wild, unexpected path so far from where he originally began, I'm comforted to find my way home, and let those odd chord progressions resolve into my own natural tonic "do". The place that feels just right to my fingers and to my heart.



more keys are available on writer's island

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one good reflecting post covering a whole gamut of thoughts.

"Perhaps the key to happiness then, is identifying that "just right" tonality for your life."

Well said...

9/25/2007  
Blogger Rambler said...

I loved the way you ended this piece, so artistic yet amazingly meaningful.

9/25/2007  
Blogger Jo said...

Becca this is so lovely, so profound.

9/25/2007  
Blogger Rae Trigg said...

Your essay is really thoughtful and well done.

9/25/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a lovely and profound piece about the keys of life! And I've never understood that double sharp bit either - I used to hate playing pieces with double sharps.

9/25/2007  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Very nice post! Full of wisdom, warmth. The musical references are just perfect.

9/25/2007  
Blogger Michele said...

Another "take my breath away" post! You truly have the gift of pulling the reader into your thoughts, your visions, your heart, your very soul!

I can feel your passion for your music, your life, your writing...

The way that you compare life to music is just fascinating--I'm amazed each time I read what you've written!

Way to go, Becca!

Smiles,
Michele
Writing the Cyber Highway

9/25/2007  
Blogger Gill said...

Yes Becca, we are definately on the similar path! I am not a musician, but my daughter takes piano, so I see the music sheets lying about. She really doesn't like it, I should take her out and do the lessons myself, as I am the one who wants her to learn! You and I had very similar thoughts about KEY~!
xo
Blue

9/25/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice reflection on music and life. Even though I know next to nothing about musical keys (much less playing them on an instrument)I still connected to what you wrote. I respond to different kinds of music - I feel most at home in music of what I would call the lower notes (does that make sense?) Things like the blues, bayou music etc. So in musical lingo where do I fall on the scale?

9/25/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I learned classical piano as a kid but your post brought the keys to life. Delightful! HUGS

9/26/2007  
Blogger nikki the red said...

as a former music major, i certainly enjoyed this.

9/28/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home