Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cafe Writing-Seven Things

Seven Things About~
October

~Fall Foliage- The marvelous spectrum of colors is one of the best things about living in Michigan. Scarlet, persimmon, and brilliant gold is etched against a deeper- than- usual blue sky. Sometimes it's so beautiful, it hurts.

~Fall fashion - I love the dark colors associated with fall clothes, love the look of sweaters and the textures of fleece and flannel. And being able to layer clothing hides a multitude of figure sins.

~Outside Walks-October is my favorite month for walking outside. The weather is usually just right for me and the dogs (especially if I'm wearing one of the aforementioned fleeces or flannels) and they love tramping through (the aformentioned) foliage that's lying all over the ground.

~Cider and Donuts - Michigan has worlds of apple orchards, and October is peak production month for cider. We have a local mill where we can watch the apples get mashed to a goopy pulp before they're turned into cold, sweet cider, the perfect way to wash down those warm (and slightly greasy) cinnamon spice donuts.

~Birthdays-October is my husband's birth month, and he's certainly worth celebrating! In an odd twist of fate, his two best friends from school days were also born in October. The boys birthdays are each 12 days apart!

~Allergies-Nothing's perfect, is it? October is my worst allergy month, mostly because the nights get chilly and we fire up the furnace, blowing all sorts of dust and molds about. So, while I'm admiring the leaves and partaking of my cider and donuts, I'm usually sneezing and snuffling too.

~Halloween-I confess, I'm not a big fan of Halloween, and I particularly don't care for all the decorations people have gotten in the habit of putting up, especially the kind where bodies are hanging from trees and lying in mock graves all over surburban front yards. Call me old fashioned if you like, I think it's distasteful. But, I know children love this holiday (my son sure did!) and I certainly don't begrudge them their fun in dressing up and collecting candy.

For this and other great writing ideas, check out the October project menu at Cafe Writing, a brand new site for writers.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So relieved to hear that I am not the only disliker of Halloween in the world. I didn't even like it as a child and I really abhor it now.
Isn't that horrible?

10/10/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca - I love this! Thanks so much for participating. I've linked it to the participants' post, and now I'm craving cider and doughnuts.

I like the faux corpses in yards, but I think that's because they sort of bring a bit of Dia de los Muertos into the mix, even if they're a bit more gruesome than they should be.

Or rather, I like that all my neighbors decorate for fall/Halloween.

10/10/2007  
Blogger Mike Davis said...

Excellent entry! It makes me want to get my thick lumberjack shirts and Timberland boots ready for a stroll in the woods.

I love the sun and feeling warm naturally, but around October, I remember how wonderful the colors and the cooler temperatures can be.

I crave a cold, snowy Christmas, but by January 1st I'm sick of it again and want the heat back!

10/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love October too. It's my birthday month!!

10/11/2007  
Blogger Bibi said...

I love fall colors ... and cider and doughnuts sound pretty good!

10/11/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

Becca... I love this too and can't wait to go to the site. Once again, we share many things. I love flannel and fleece and I am not a fan of Halloween either. We have a local orchard that just makes small batches of cider , but have all the people in the area up to the warehouse for a potluck each year. It is the best time for all!

10/11/2007  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

This was really special to read Becca. I'm so glad I didn't miss this. Now I have Cafe Writing bookmarked. I had not seen it before.

10/11/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

October is also my favorite month because of the almost too blue sky and the golden light that touches everything with it's magic.

I'm not big on Halloween either. Except for the little, tiny kids who come to the door. They make me happy.

10/12/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

October is my favourite month too but for different reasons. I think I will write about next week. Today I wrote a poem choosing Option five on Cafe Writing.

10/14/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

The joys of fall - I'm there, although I do like Halloween decorations - reminds me of the Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico. Of course, some people take it to the extreme. My allergies are giving me grief at the moment as well.

10/14/2007  
Blogger Melody said...

Enjoyed reading your post, Becca! Because we don't have four seasons over here and we don't celebrate Halloween, so everything is an eye opener to me! :)

10/15/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home