Monday, October 8, 2007

One Deep Breath- Simple Pleasures


barefoot in the grass
one last time before frost~
indian summer




Today was a day of contrasts. It was almost 90 degrees (this is October in Michigan?), yet a stiff breeze scattered tiny elm leaves across the yard, making it look like fall. It was a day of "lasts" for me, I think- last tomatoes from the garden, last time to hang my sheets on the line, last lunch on the patio, and yes, last time to wander barefoot in the yard.
Tomorrow, the tide turns - rain is forecast, and a chill wind, dropping the temperatures into the 40's overnight. So tomorrow will probably be a day of "firsts" - first fire in the fireplace, first time wearing a jacket, and, sadly ('cuz I'm a barefoot girl at heart), first time wearing shoes and socks.

for more simple pleasures, go here

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I'm with you Becca. Shoes and socks aren't my first love, either!
Nicely done haiku!

10/08/2007  
Blogger Roswila said...

Wonderful, becca. I really don't like having to put shoes on, and I usually don't, wearing out socks in the cooler weather around my apartment. :-)

10/08/2007  
Blogger Clare said...

Hi Becca! I love your haiku and the photo -- I'm barefoot as I type this. And I adore the feel and smell of cool grass, too.
:)

10/08/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love this, I love going barefoot in grass or on sand

10/09/2007  
Blogger Everydaythings said...

oh wonderful!!!!! bare feet on grass...yummy!

10/09/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is FINALLY going to cool down here also.....expected lows this weekend down to 61 degrees...yippee...time to get the Fall decorations out ;)

10/09/2007  
Blogger get zapped said...

This made me smile. It's such a pleasure to run barefoot. If it helps, we've been donning rain gear for a month now in the PNW!

10/09/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did feet too. Grass and bare feet... so fundamental!

10/10/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

The first few days of shoes and socks made me unhappy that the summer is gone. Now my feet are so cold I'm wearing thick socks even with my slippers.

Your picture and poem made me want to run outside to wiggle my toes in the lawn one last time. Too late. It's raining.

10/12/2007  
Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

a perfect capture of this fall's simple pleasure...our weather has been more august than october here in NC

10/15/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home